Search the collections
Image: Brochure - Detailed Itineraries for Allen's Tours to Open Places and Faraway Places, 1950
Source: Museum Victoria
The Leisure Collection is comprised of over 10,000 artefacts that explore the leisure and recreational activities that people have pursued in Victoria since European settlement.
The Leisure Collection is focused on activities which people pursue in their free time, and emphasises popular, amateur and everyday leisure activities, rather than elite, professional activities. The Collection represents the following aspects of leisure:
Participation in and spectatorship of a range of sports and physical pursuits including football, trugo, boxing, cycling, cricket, horse-racing, swimming and lawn bowls.
Visiting places and enjoying events such as agricultural shows, circuses, zoos, botanic gardens, fetes, carnivals, the Olympic and Commonwealth Games, Luna Park and the Moomba Festival.
Involvement in a myriad of hobbies and pastimes as diverse as practicing photography; playing and listening to music; dancing; eating and drinking; playing with toys, board games and puzzles; playing computer games; collecting; watching films, television, puppet shows and theatre; looking at optical toys; sewing; gardening; shopping; picnicking; camping; fishing; hunting; boating; motoring; and travelling.
Artefacts in the Leisure Collection include about 2,000 documents, over 6,000 images, almost 1,000 audio-visual recordings and over 4,000 objects. The objects range from small personal items such as swimming costumes, board games, fishing rods, jigsaw puzzles, cameras and show bags, to large objects such as cars and a caravan.
Significant items include:
- 56 toys made from Max Mint wrappers by a woman for her grandchildren, 1929-35.
- The iconic Harry Johns Boxing Truck, from the travelling boxing show which roamed eastern Australia, 1950-75.
- 276 items associated with racehorse Phar Lap's racing career and subsequent memorialisation.
- 216 items associated with Fitzroy's Black Cat Café, 1982-2001.
- 141 puppets and associated items from Melbourne's Le Forgeron puppet theatre, 1920s-1956.
- Ephemera and objects relating to both sportspeople and spectators at the 1956 Melbourne Olympics.
- Little Men, mechanical hen and tokens from Cole's Book Arcade.
- Skyline caravan, 1957.
- Tourist brochures produced by state tourist bureaus and travel companies, 1920s-1970s.
- Bay paddle steamer models, 1880s-1920s.
- Image collections with representations of leisure activities, 1880s-1960s, especially in the Biggest Family Album, Laurie Richards and State Electricity Commission collections.
- Australian Children's Folklore Collection: archive, artefacts and oral histories documenting children's games and playlore, 1940s-present.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 41 - 50) 2444 items
Black and white studio portrait, depicting a young girl modeling with a doll made by the L.J Sterne Doll Company. This photograph relates to products and promotions of the L.J. Sterne ...Images: 1
Black and white photograph, depicting three Fredd Bears made by the L.J. Sterne Doll Company, and a wooden toy train, circa 1965. This photograph relates to products and promotions of ...Images: 1
Black and white photograph of a young boy and girl dressed in western attire with a cowboy Gerry Gee doll and a cowgirl Geraldine Gee doll. This photograph relates to products and prom ...Images: 1
Black and white photograph of a television image of credits for GTV9 and the L.J. Sterne Doll Company, Melbourne circa 1957 - 1965Images: 1
Black and white photo advertising Tom Piper canned goods and Phillip Morris cigarettes using three display stands manufactured by the Sterne Doll Co. This photograph relates to product ...Images: 1
Black and White photograph of Sterne Doll Company product display consisting toy dolls.Images: 1
Black and white photograph, depicting Kevin Constantine with his ventriloquist doll, circa 1960.Images: 1
Black and White photograph of a Beatle Gerry Gee Doll resting upright on a stand, with two photographs of the Beatles in background. This photograph relates to products and promotions ...Images: 1
Black and White photograph of Leo Sterne posing with a Beatle Gerry Gee Doll resting upright on a stand. This photograph relates to products and promotions of the L.J. Sterne Doll Comp ...Images: 1
Black and white photograph of the New Gerry Gee Junior Family doll display, depicting Gerry Gee and Geraldine Gee ventriloquist dolls with L.J Sterne Doll Co. posters of Ron Blaskett an ...Images: 1