Search the collections
Image: Brochure - Detailed Itineraries for Allen's Tours to Open Places and Faraway Places, 1950
Source: Museum Victoria
The Leisure Collection is comprised of over 10,000 artefacts that explore the leisure and recreational activities that people have pursued in Victoria since European settlement.
The Leisure Collection is focused on activities which people pursue in their free time, and emphasises popular, amateur and everyday leisure activities, rather than elite, professional activities. The Collection represents the following aspects of leisure:
Participation in and spectatorship of a range of sports and physical pursuits including football, trugo, boxing, cycling, cricket, horse-racing, swimming and lawn bowls.
Visiting places and enjoying events such as agricultural shows, circuses, zoos, botanic gardens, fetes, carnivals, the Olympic and Commonwealth Games, Luna Park and the Moomba Festival.
Involvement in a myriad of hobbies and pastimes as diverse as practicing photography; playing and listening to music; dancing; eating and drinking; playing with toys, board games and puzzles; playing computer games; collecting; watching films, television, puppet shows and theatre; looking at optical toys; sewing; gardening; shopping; picnicking; camping; fishing; hunting; boating; motoring; and travelling.
Artefacts in the Leisure Collection include about 2,000 documents, over 6,000 images, almost 1,000 audio-visual recordings and over 4,000 objects. The objects range from small personal items such as swimming costumes, board games, fishing rods, jigsaw puzzles, cameras and show bags, to large objects such as cars and a caravan.
Significant items include:
- 56 toys made from Max Mint wrappers by a woman for her grandchildren, 1929-35.
- The iconic Harry Johns Boxing Truck, from the travelling boxing show which roamed eastern Australia, 1950-75.
- 276 items associated with racehorse Phar Lap's racing career and subsequent memorialisation.
- 216 items associated with Fitzroy's Black Cat Café, 1982-2001.
- 141 puppets and associated items from Melbourne's Le Forgeron puppet theatre, 1920s-1956.
- Ephemera and objects relating to both sportspeople and spectators at the 1956 Melbourne Olympics.
- Little Men, mechanical hen and tokens from Cole's Book Arcade.
- Skyline caravan, 1957.
- Tourist brochures produced by state tourist bureaus and travel companies, 1920s-1970s.
- Bay paddle steamer models, 1880s-1920s.
- Image collections with representations of leisure activities, 1880s-1960s, especially in the Biggest Family Album, Laurie Richards and State Electricity Commission collections.
- Australian Children's Folklore Collection: archive, artefacts and oral histories documenting children's games and playlore, 1940s-present.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 51 - 60) 2444 items
Black and White photograph of Leo Sterne posing with a Beatle Gerry Gee Doll resting upright on a stand.Images: 1
Black and white photography of three boys, one holding a football, in front of a Gerry Gee and Geraldine Gee display, presumably at a toy trade fair. In the background, posters depict v ...Images: 1
Black and white photograph of Leo Sterne and his wife Hilda in an Office. This photograph relates to products and promotions of the L.J. Sterne Doll Company (1939-1971), a Melbourne do ...Images: 1
Black and white photograph of a Gerry Gee Junior doll. This photograph relates to products and promotions of the L.J. Sterne Doll Company (1939-1971), a Melbourne doll and toy manufact ...Images: 1
Lantern Slide, 'I'm Popeye the Sailor Man' lyrics, composed by Sammy Lerner in1933, illustrated with Popeye cartoon. Published by Chappell. Used by Mr Jack Hayward an entertainer who h ...Images: 1
One of 35 black and white Lantern Slides depicting images of places and people taken in the Garmisch-Partenkirchen district in Bavaria, Germany, circa 1920s. This Lantern Slide depicts ...Images: 1
Postcard depicting the RHMS Ellinis, issued by the Chandris Lines, circa 1960s-1970s. The Ellinis was built in 1931 as the Lurline for the US Matson Line, she was used for the San Fran ...Images: 2
Print of an original painting of Phar Lap by local artist Daryl Lindsay. This print was published by Melbourne's Sporting Globe newspaper as a colour supplement after Phar Lap's death i ...Images: 1
German peepshow in its original slip case consisting of six panels which have been attached in a concertina like arrangement. Its two viewing peeps give views above and below the water ...Images: 2
Lantern Slide with the text 'The Sterling Music Publishing Co Presents Jack Hayward'. Used by Mr Jack Hayward an entertainer who held community concerts in Sydney suburbs and in Geelon ...Images: 1