Search the collections
Image: Brochure - Detailed Itineraries for Allen's Tours to Open Places and Faraway Places, 1950
Source: Museum Victoria
The Leisure Collection is comprised of over 10,000 artefacts that explore the leisure and recreational activities that people have pursued in Victoria since European settlement.
The Leisure Collection is focused on activities which people pursue in their free time, and emphasises popular, amateur and everyday leisure activities, rather than elite, professional activities. The Collection represents the following aspects of leisure:
Participation in and spectatorship of a range of sports and physical pursuits including football, trugo, boxing, cycling, cricket, horse-racing, swimming and lawn bowls.
Visiting places and enjoying events such as agricultural shows, circuses, zoos, botanic gardens, fetes, carnivals, the Olympic and Commonwealth Games, Luna Park and the Moomba Festival.
Involvement in a myriad of hobbies and pastimes as diverse as practicing photography; playing and listening to music; dancing; eating and drinking; playing with toys, board games and puzzles; playing computer games; collecting; watching films, television, puppet shows and theatre; looking at optical toys; sewing; gardening; shopping; picnicking; camping; fishing; hunting; boating; motoring; and travelling.
Artefacts in the Leisure Collection include about 2,000 documents, over 6,000 images, almost 1,000 audio-visual recordings and over 4,000 objects. The objects range from small personal items such as swimming costumes, board games, fishing rods, jigsaw puzzles, cameras and show bags, to large objects such as cars and a caravan.
Significant items include:
- 56 toys made from Max Mint wrappers by a woman for her grandchildren, 1929-35.
- The iconic Harry Johns Boxing Truck, from the travelling boxing show which roamed eastern Australia, 1950-75.
- 276 items associated with racehorse Phar Lap's racing career and subsequent memorialisation.
- 216 items associated with Fitzroy's Black Cat Café, 1982-2001.
- 141 puppets and associated items from Melbourne's Le Forgeron puppet theatre, 1920s-1956.
- Ephemera and objects relating to both sportspeople and spectators at the 1956 Melbourne Olympics.
- Little Men, mechanical hen and tokens from Cole's Book Arcade.
- Skyline caravan, 1957.
- Tourist brochures produced by state tourist bureaus and travel companies, 1920s-1970s.
- Bay paddle steamer models, 1880s-1920s.
- Image collections with representations of leisure activities, 1880s-1960s, especially in the Biggest Family Album, Laurie Richards and State Electricity Commission collections.
- Australian Children's Folklore Collection: archive, artefacts and oral histories documenting children's games and playlore, 1940s-present.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 11 - 20) 169 items
Australia Victoria Fitzroy 1916 (AD) Mint: not recorded Awarded to: Green, M.E. Other Details: Medal issued in 1916 by the Fitzroy Football Club, the year it won the VFL premiership. It ...From: Fitzroy, Australia Images: 2
Australia Victoria "7" Sport, Essendon V's Hawthorn 1985 (AD) Mint: Brim Medallions Other Details: Channel 7 Sport medallion, issued to commemorate the Essendon versus Hawthorn football ...Images: 2
Australia Victoria Melbourne War Funds Appeal Prize Medal 1941 (AD) by Alan McCulloch Mint: Stokes Awarded to: Not issued Other Details: This War Funds Appeal tennis prize medal reflec ...From: Melbourne, Australia Images: 2
Australia Tasmania Hobart Royal Hobart Centenary Regatta 1938 (AD) Mint: Stokes Medal with loop and ring Other Details: Hobart celebrated 100 years since its first regatta by holding a ...From: Hobart, Australia Images: 2
Australia Victoria 1994 (A.D.)) Mint: Hafner Other Details: Alpine Club of Victoria medal, issued in 1994. The Alpine Club of Victoria (ACV) was formed in October 1944. It was conceived ...Images: 2
No Image Available
Australia Fifty Cent 2006 (AD) Mint: Royal Australian Melbourne 2006 (M2006) Commonwealth Games uncirculated, packaged Commemorative Fifty cent coin featuring the 'Melbourne 2006 Comm ...From: Deakin, Australia Images: 0
Australia Tasmania Hobart Royal Hobart Centenary Regatta 1938 (AD) Mint: Stokes Other Details: Hobart celebrated 100 years since its first regatta by holding a centenary regatta on 19 t ...From: Hobart, Australia Images: 2
Australia Victoria Fitzroy Premiers Medal 1916 (AD) Mint: not recorded Awarded to: Shaw, G. Other Details: Fitzroy Football Club Premiership medal, commemorating the Club's victory in 1 ...From: Fitzroy, Australia Images: 1
Bronze art medal titled 'The Violinist' from the Music series by Melbourne sculptor Michael Meszaros, 1981. 'The Violinist' is one of a series of six medals depicting orchestral instrum ...Images: 1
Bronze art medal titled 'The Flautist' from the Music series by Melbourne sculptor Michael Meszaros, 1981. 'The Flautist' is one of a series of six medals depicting orchestral instrumen ...Images: 1