Search the collections
Image: Brochure - Detailed Itineraries for Allen's Tours to Open Places and Faraway Places, 1950
Source: Museum Victoria
The Leisure Collection is comprised of over 10,000 artefacts that explore the leisure and recreational activities that people have pursued in Victoria since European settlement.
The Leisure Collection is focused on activities which people pursue in their free time, and emphasises popular, amateur and everyday leisure activities, rather than elite, professional activities. The Collection represents the following aspects of leisure:
Participation in and spectatorship of a range of sports and physical pursuits including football, trugo, boxing, cycling, cricket, horse-racing, swimming and lawn bowls.
Visiting places and enjoying events such as agricultural shows, circuses, zoos, botanic gardens, fetes, carnivals, the Olympic and Commonwealth Games, Luna Park and the Moomba Festival.
Involvement in a myriad of hobbies and pastimes as diverse as practicing photography; playing and listening to music; dancing; eating and drinking; playing with toys, board games and puzzles; playing computer games; collecting; watching films, television, puppet shows and theatre; looking at optical toys; sewing; gardening; shopping; picnicking; camping; fishing; hunting; boating; motoring; and travelling.
Artefacts in the Leisure Collection include about 2,000 documents, over 6,000 images, almost 1,000 audio-visual recordings and over 4,000 objects. The objects range from small personal items such as swimming costumes, board games, fishing rods, jigsaw puzzles, cameras and show bags, to large objects such as cars and a caravan.
Significant items include:
- 56 toys made from Max Mint wrappers by a woman for her grandchildren, 1929-35.
- The iconic Harry Johns Boxing Truck, from the travelling boxing show which roamed eastern Australia, 1950-75.
- 276 items associated with racehorse Phar Lap's racing career and subsequent memorialisation.
- 216 items associated with Fitzroy's Black Cat Café, 1982-2001.
- 141 puppets and associated items from Melbourne's Le Forgeron puppet theatre, 1920s-1956.
- Ephemera and objects relating to both sportspeople and spectators at the 1956 Melbourne Olympics.
- Little Men, mechanical hen and tokens from Cole's Book Arcade.
- Skyline caravan, 1957.
- Tourist brochures produced by state tourist bureaus and travel companies, 1920s-1970s.
- Bay paddle steamer models, 1880s-1920s.
- Image collections with representations of leisure activities, 1880s-1960s, especially in the Biggest Family Album, Laurie Richards and State Electricity Commission collections.
- Australian Children's Folklore Collection: archive, artefacts and oral histories documenting children's games and playlore, 1940s-present.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 41 - 50) 174 items
Bronze art medal titled 'Shakespeare Statue Unveiling, Ballarat' by Melbourne sculptor Michael Meszaros, 1960. Michael's father, sculptor Andor Mészáros, was commissioned by the City of ...Images: 1
Bronze art medal titled 'Tennis Ball' by Melbourne sculptor Michael Meszaros, 1982. The seam of the tennis ball is positioned to give the impression of three dimensions within the flat ...Images: 1
Bronze art medal titled 'Spinnaker' by Melbourne sculptor Michael Meszaros, 1969. The spinnaker sail of the small boat nearly fills the field, as its competitor is left behind. This med ...Images: 1
Alternative name: The Boxers Bronze art medal titled 'Right Lead' by Melbourne sculptor Michael Meszaros, 1969. This medal was completed while Meszaros was a student at La Scuola Dell ...Images: 1
Bronze art medal titled 'Contra!' by Melbourne sculptor Michael Meszaros, 1966. In this medal Meszaros is telling the story of two card players. The bottle of wine and the glasses sugge ...Images: 1
No Image Available
A silver 1/5th stater coin issued by King Philip II of Macedonia in the period 359-336 BC Reference: cf Sear vol.2 p.619 no. 6691 but head under horse Die axis: 11Images: 2
No Image Available
A copper coin issued by King Antigonus II of Macedonia in the period 277-239 BC Mint: not recorded Reference: Sear vol.2 p.630 No.6787 Die axis: 11Images: 2
A copper coin issued by King Philip II of Macedonia in the period 359-336 BC Reference:Sear vol.2 p.620 no. 6696 but star under horse Die axis: 12Images: 2
Round medal decorated with raised images of Melbourne landmarks and the city crest. It was produced in Melbourne by Stokes in the 1970s to commemorate the Melbourne Moomba Festival, an ...Images: 1
Round medal with an enamelled shield and engraving on one side, and a blank scroll on the other. It is an unawarded example of a medal issued to contestants in the 1962 Miss Moomba Int ...Images: 2