Search the collections
Image: Brochure - Detailed Itineraries for Allen's Tours to Open Places and Faraway Places, 1950
Source: Museum Victoria
The Leisure Collection is comprised of over 10,000 artefacts that explore the leisure and recreational activities that people have pursued in Victoria since European settlement.
The Leisure Collection is focused on activities which people pursue in their free time, and emphasises popular, amateur and everyday leisure activities, rather than elite, professional activities. The Collection represents the following aspects of leisure:
Participation in and spectatorship of a range of sports and physical pursuits including football, trugo, boxing, cycling, cricket, horse-racing, swimming and lawn bowls.
Visiting places and enjoying events such as agricultural shows, circuses, zoos, botanic gardens, fetes, carnivals, the Olympic and Commonwealth Games, Luna Park and the Moomba Festival.
Involvement in a myriad of hobbies and pastimes as diverse as practicing photography; playing and listening to music; dancing; eating and drinking; playing with toys, board games and puzzles; playing computer games; collecting; watching films, television, puppet shows and theatre; looking at optical toys; sewing; gardening; shopping; picnicking; camping; fishing; hunting; boating; motoring; and travelling.
Artefacts in the Leisure Collection include about 2,000 documents, over 6,000 images, almost 1,000 audio-visual recordings and over 4,000 objects. The objects range from small personal items such as swimming costumes, board games, fishing rods, jigsaw puzzles, cameras and show bags, to large objects such as cars and a caravan.
Significant items include:
- 56 toys made from Max Mint wrappers by a woman for her grandchildren, 1929-35.
- The iconic Harry Johns Boxing Truck, from the travelling boxing show which roamed eastern Australia, 1950-75.
- 276 items associated with racehorse Phar Lap's racing career and subsequent memorialisation.
- 216 items associated with Fitzroy's Black Cat Café, 1982-2001.
- 141 puppets and associated items from Melbourne's Le Forgeron puppet theatre, 1920s-1956.
- Ephemera and objects relating to both sportspeople and spectators at the 1956 Melbourne Olympics.
- Little Men, mechanical hen and tokens from Cole's Book Arcade.
- Skyline caravan, 1957.
- Tourist brochures produced by state tourist bureaus and travel companies, 1920s-1970s.
- Bay paddle steamer models, 1880s-1920s.
- Image collections with representations of leisure activities, 1880s-1960s, especially in the Biggest Family Album, Laurie Richards and State Electricity Commission collections.
- Australian Children's Folklore Collection: archive, artefacts and oral histories documenting children's games and playlore, 1940s-present.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 51 - 60) 170 items
Australia Victoria Membership Badge 1898 - 1899 (AD) Mint: not recorded Other Details: The cycle racing craze of the 1890s saw the replacement of the penny-farthing as the racing cycle ...Images: 2
Australia Victoria Melbourne Bowling Championship 1873 (AD) Mint: not recorded Awarded to: Aitken, William Other Details: The gold prize medal of the West Melbourne Bowling Club for the ...From: Melbourne, Australia Images: 2
Australia West Australia Perth Western Australia 150th Anniversary Medal, 1979 Mint: not recorded Other Details: Medal issued to commemorate the sesquicentennary of Western Australia in ...From: Perth, Australia Images: 2
No Image Available
Australia Fifty Cent 2006 (AD) Mint: Royal Australian Melbourne 2006 (M2006) Commonwealth Games uncirculated, packaged Commemorative Fifty cent coin featuring the 'Melbourne 2006 Comm ...
No Image Available
Australia Fifty Cent 2005 (AD) Mint: Royal Australian Melbourne 2006 (M2006) Commonwealth Games Basketball uncirculated, packaged Commemorative Fifty cent coin featuring the the 'Melb ...
Australia New South Wales Manly New South Wales, Rugby Runners-up 1983 (AD) Mint: Amor Other Details: A gilt medal issued by M.R. Roberts to commemorate the runners-up in the premiershi ...From: Sydney, Australia Images: 2
Australia Victoria Melbourne Senior 4 oared prize medal 1868 (AD) Melbourne Regatta Mint: W.J.Taylor, London Awarded to: Edwards, S. Other Details: This is a silver medal made in Londo ...From: Melbourne, Australia Images: 2
Australia Queensland Brisbane Commonwealth Games 1982 (AD) Other Details: Un-issued silver prize medal of the 1982 Commonwealth Games, held in Brisbane. Commonwealth Games Brisbane logo ...From: Brisbane, Australia Images: 2
Australia Victoria c. 1900 (AD) Mint: not recorded Other Details: Victorian Anglers' Club medal. It has not been inscribed with a name, and therefore was probably not awarded. One of t ...Images: 2
No Image Available
Australia Fifty Cent 2005 (AD) Mint: Royal Australian Melbourne 2006 (M2006)Commonwealth Games Shooting uncirculated, packaged Commemorative Fifty cent coin featuring the the 'Melbour ...