Search the collections
Image: Brochure - Detailed Itineraries for Allen's Tours to Open Places and Faraway Places, 1950
Source: Museum Victoria
The Leisure Collection is comprised of over 10,000 artefacts that explore the leisure and recreational activities that people have pursued in Victoria since European settlement.
The Leisure Collection is focused on activities which people pursue in their free time, and emphasises popular, amateur and everyday leisure activities, rather than elite, professional activities. The Collection represents the following aspects of leisure:
Participation in and spectatorship of a range of sports and physical pursuits including football, trugo, boxing, cycling, cricket, horse-racing, swimming and lawn bowls.
Visiting places and enjoying events such as agricultural shows, circuses, zoos, botanic gardens, fetes, carnivals, the Olympic and Commonwealth Games, Luna Park and the Moomba Festival.
Involvement in a myriad of hobbies and pastimes as diverse as practicing photography; playing and listening to music; dancing; eating and drinking; playing with toys, board games and puzzles; playing computer games; collecting; watching films, television, puppet shows and theatre; looking at optical toys; sewing; gardening; shopping; picnicking; camping; fishing; hunting; boating; motoring; and travelling.
Artefacts in the Leisure Collection include about 2,000 documents, over 6,000 images, almost 1,000 audio-visual recordings and over 4,000 objects. The objects range from small personal items such as swimming costumes, board games, fishing rods, jigsaw puzzles, cameras and show bags, to large objects such as cars and a caravan.
Significant items include:
- 56 toys made from Max Mint wrappers by a woman for her grandchildren, 1929-35.
- The iconic Harry Johns Boxing Truck, from the travelling boxing show which roamed eastern Australia, 1950-75.
- 276 items associated with racehorse Phar Lap's racing career and subsequent memorialisation.
- 216 items associated with Fitzroy's Black Cat Café, 1982-2001.
- 141 puppets and associated items from Melbourne's Le Forgeron puppet theatre, 1920s-1956.
- Ephemera and objects relating to both sportspeople and spectators at the 1956 Melbourne Olympics.
- Little Men, mechanical hen and tokens from Cole's Book Arcade.
- Skyline caravan, 1957.
- Tourist brochures produced by state tourist bureaus and travel companies, 1920s-1970s.
- Bay paddle steamer models, 1880s-1920s.
- Image collections with representations of leisure activities, 1880s-1960s, especially in the Biggest Family Album, Laurie Richards and State Electricity Commission collections.
- Australian Children's Folklore Collection: archive, artefacts and oral histories documenting children's games and playlore, 1940s-present.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 1 - 10) 1804 items
Alternative Name(s): Truck International AR Series 160 Harry Johns was a boxing and wrestling entrepreneur who toured the agricultural shows of Australia's eastern states between the 19 ...From: Dandenong, Australia Images: 5
Tourist brochure 'Playground of the Pacific', issued by the Manly Warringah Tourist Bureau in the 1950s.Images: 2
Tourist brochure titled 'The National Park for the Tourist', New South Wales. Produced by the New South Wales Government Tourist Bureau and the National Park Trust in 1939. Describes th ...Images: 2
Tourist brochure titled 'Harbour Beautiful, Sydney, Australia for the Tourist'. Produced by the New South Wales Government Tourist Bureau in 1939Images: 1
Tourist brochure titled 'South Australia's South-East. Produced by the South Australian Government Publicity and Tourist Bureau in 1955.Images: 1
Tourist brochure titled 'Bunbury, Western Australia'. Issued by the West Australian Government Tourist Bureau in 1950Images: 2
Tourist guide booklet 'Visitor's Guide to Melbourne' issued by the Victorian Government Tourist Bureau in about 1912.Images: 1
Tourist booklet, 'Beautiful Ballarat', issued by the Ballarat Progress Association in 1912Images: 1
This newspaper cutting, from the Daily Telegraph newspaper, contains a front page story about the death of Phar Lap, including a large photograph of Phar Lap and jockey racing. It is pa ...Images: 2
Alternative Name(s): Reproduction poster - Phar Lap's 1930 Melbourne Cup This poster was given away as a freebie at the opening of the 1993 Museum of Victoria exhibition `Phar Lap ... ...Images: 1