Search the collections
Image: Brochure - Detailed Itineraries for Allen's Tours to Open Places and Faraway Places, 1950
Source: Museum Victoria
The Leisure Collection is comprised of over 10,000 artefacts that explore the leisure and recreational activities that people have pursued in Victoria since European settlement.
The Leisure Collection is focused on activities which people pursue in their free time, and emphasises popular, amateur and everyday leisure activities, rather than elite, professional activities. The Collection represents the following aspects of leisure:
Participation in and spectatorship of a range of sports and physical pursuits including football, trugo, boxing, cycling, cricket, horse-racing, swimming and lawn bowls.
Visiting places and enjoying events such as agricultural shows, circuses, zoos, botanic gardens, fetes, carnivals, the Olympic and Commonwealth Games, Luna Park and the Moomba Festival.
Involvement in a myriad of hobbies and pastimes as diverse as practicing photography; playing and listening to music; dancing; eating and drinking; playing with toys, board games and puzzles; playing computer games; collecting; watching films, television, puppet shows and theatre; looking at optical toys; sewing; gardening; shopping; picnicking; camping; fishing; hunting; boating; motoring; and travelling.
Artefacts in the Leisure Collection include about 2,000 documents, over 6,000 images, almost 1,000 audio-visual recordings and over 4,000 objects. The objects range from small personal items such as swimming costumes, board games, fishing rods, jigsaw puzzles, cameras and show bags, to large objects such as cars and a caravan.
Significant items include:
- 56 toys made from Max Mint wrappers by a woman for her grandchildren, 1929-35.
- The iconic Harry Johns Boxing Truck, from the travelling boxing show which roamed eastern Australia, 1950-75.
- 276 items associated with racehorse Phar Lap's racing career and subsequent memorialisation.
- 216 items associated with Fitzroy's Black Cat Café, 1982-2001.
- 141 puppets and associated items from Melbourne's Le Forgeron puppet theatre, 1920s-1956.
- Ephemera and objects relating to both sportspeople and spectators at the 1956 Melbourne Olympics.
- Little Men, mechanical hen and tokens from Cole's Book Arcade.
- Skyline caravan, 1957.
- Tourist brochures produced by state tourist bureaus and travel companies, 1920s-1970s.
- Bay paddle steamer models, 1880s-1920s.
- Image collections with representations of leisure activities, 1880s-1960s, especially in the Biggest Family Album, Laurie Richards and State Electricity Commission collections.
- Australian Children's Folklore Collection: archive, artefacts and oral histories documenting children's games and playlore, 1940s-present.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 41 - 50) 1446 items
Pennant, 'Melbourne Soccer Club Silver Jubilee 1957-1982'. This pennant was used in Melbourne in 1982 to celebrate 25 years of the Melbourne Soccer Club, also known as the Melbourne Hun ...Images: 1
Semi-ovoid shaped brass snuff-box engraved with the name "J. Ovenden". Presented to, or owned by, the great-grandfather of donor's wife, James Joseph Ovenden, who served in the Victori ...Images: 4
Folding deck chair purchased by Michele Grosso in Messina for use onboard his immigrant voyage to from Italy to Australia in 1952. Michele came from Grammichele in the province of Catan ...Images: 2
Cycling trophy awarded to Hubert Opperman, 5 Sep 1926, for winning the Dunlop Road Race from Kapunda to Adelaide, South Australia. Opperman covered a distance of 106 miles (170.6 km) i ...Images: 6
Cycling award for Hubert Opperman, 9 Nov 1929. Presented by Dominion Broadcasting Co. Pty. Ltd. for Opperman's record ride between Sydney and Melbourne. He covered a distance of 567 (p ...Images: 6
Photograph Album assembled by the E Taylor, it relates to a 21 day bus tour that he and his wife took through the ACT, New South Wales and Victoria in March/April 1938. This album's ma ...Images: 2
Children's toy magic lantern projector, designed for domestic use with miniature glass slides. Unknown manufacturer, but probably made in Germany. Similar in design to a Max Danhorn mod ...Images: 1
Trigger Bros yellow surfboard manufactured in 1990. The 'Thruster' board was designed to be used in waves up to six foot. The Trigger brothers interest in surfing first began in the 196 ...Images: 1
Wooden snuff box reportedly made from a pile of 'Old London Bridge'. Old London Bridge was demolished in 1831.Images: 1