Search the collections
Image: Brochure - Detailed Itineraries for Allen's Tours to Open Places and Faraway Places, 1950
Source: Museum Victoria
The Leisure Collection is comprised of over 10,000 artefacts that explore the leisure and recreational activities that people have pursued in Victoria since European settlement.
The Leisure Collection is focused on activities which people pursue in their free time, and emphasises popular, amateur and everyday leisure activities, rather than elite, professional activities. The Collection represents the following aspects of leisure:
Participation in and spectatorship of a range of sports and physical pursuits including football, trugo, boxing, cycling, cricket, horse-racing, swimming and lawn bowls.
Visiting places and enjoying events such as agricultural shows, circuses, zoos, botanic gardens, fetes, carnivals, the Olympic and Commonwealth Games, Luna Park and the Moomba Festival.
Involvement in a myriad of hobbies and pastimes as diverse as practicing photography; playing and listening to music; dancing; eating and drinking; playing with toys, board games and puzzles; playing computer games; collecting; watching films, television, puppet shows and theatre; looking at optical toys; sewing; gardening; shopping; picnicking; camping; fishing; hunting; boating; motoring; and travelling.
Artefacts in the Leisure Collection include about 2,000 documents, over 6,000 images, almost 1,000 audio-visual recordings and over 4,000 objects. The objects range from small personal items such as swimming costumes, board games, fishing rods, jigsaw puzzles, cameras and show bags, to large objects such as cars and a caravan.
Significant items include:
- 56 toys made from Max Mint wrappers by a woman for her grandchildren, 1929-35.
- The iconic Harry Johns Boxing Truck, from the travelling boxing show which roamed eastern Australia, 1950-75.
- 276 items associated with racehorse Phar Lap's racing career and subsequent memorialisation.
- 216 items associated with Fitzroy's Black Cat Café, 1982-2001.
- 141 puppets and associated items from Melbourne's Le Forgeron puppet theatre, 1920s-1956.
- Ephemera and objects relating to both sportspeople and spectators at the 1956 Melbourne Olympics.
- Little Men, mechanical hen and tokens from Cole's Book Arcade.
- Skyline caravan, 1957.
- Tourist brochures produced by state tourist bureaus and travel companies, 1920s-1970s.
- Bay paddle steamer models, 1880s-1920s.
- Image collections with representations of leisure activities, 1880s-1960s, especially in the Biggest Family Album, Laurie Richards and State Electricity Commission collections.
- Australian Children's Folklore Collection: archive, artefacts and oral histories documenting children's games and playlore, 1940s-present.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 51 - 60) 1455 items
Wooden snuff box made from one of the timbers of the H.M.S. Royal George. HMS Royal George was a 100-gun ship of the Royal Navy. She was launched in 1756 and sank at Portsmouth on 29 A ...Images: 2
Cartoon produced by Melbourne cartoonist Ron Tandberg for inclusion in The Age newspaper of Wednesday 2nd November, 2005. It was in reaction to the racehorse Makybe Diva winning the 200 ...Images: 1
Alternative Name(s): Button Badge for the Victorian Blind Institute Cricket Club, circa 1920s-1960s. Blind cricket was invented in Melbourne in 1922. In 1928 a cricket ground and clubh ...Images: 1
No Image Available
C.B. Kellow Cup cycling trophy awarded to Hubert Opperman, for the Dunlop Grand Prix of 1927. The event was held in four stages from the 14-19 November, 1927, covering 690 miles (1110 k ...Images: 0
Cycling trophy awarded to Hubert Opperman, 25 October 1924, as 'Championship of the State' in the A.H. Thomas Pty Ltd Cup, held as a 125 mile (201 km) road race between Launceston and H ...Images: 3
Cycling award for Hubert Opperman, 19th October,1929. Malvern Star Grand Prix. Wangaratta to Melbourne (via Shepparton and Tatura) -182 miles (292.9 km). This race had 48 starters and ...Images: 2
Oil painting titled 'An Evening at the International Exhibition' by British genre painter William Powell Frith, circa 1888. Frith exhibited a number of works in the British Fine Art Co ...Images: 2
Large drinking glass souvenir of the Tour de France, 1961. It advertises the Champigneulles brewery. It was donated to Museum Victoria by Hubert Opperman, who had himself raced in the T ...Images: 3
Theatre programme for a performance by Australian opera singer Dame Nellie Melba at Melbourne Town Hall on Tuesday, 17th December, 1918. The programme also includes Leila Doubleday, Fra ...Images: 3
Theatre programme for a matinee concert organised and performed by Australian opera singer Madame Nellie Melba and English actor Cyril Maude at Her Majesty's Theatre, Melbourne on Tuesd ...Images: 4