Search the collections
Numismatics & Philately Collection
Image: Australia, 5 Shilling, Obverse
Source: Museum Victoria
The Numismatics and Philately Collections offer a window into societies and their values, particularly officially sanctioned values. They have a worldwide coverage of coins, historical medals, military medals, paper money, share scrip and stamps.
The most extensive parts of the collection are of Australian and British Commonwealth material. The Australian coin collection is the most important of its kind in the world, containing unique reference material retained by both the Melbourne and Sydney mints.
The Numismatic collection reflects the economic, political and technological histories of societies. It is primarily built up from the collections formed by the National Gallery of Victoria and the Melbourne Mint, and products from the Canberra Mint are still obtained.
It includes the collection of the artist Eugene von Guerard and groups of medals awarded to important Victorian figures including Frederick McCoy, Redmond Barry and Ferdinand von Mueller, together with many internationally significant pieces collected for the 1879, 1880 and 1888 Australian international exhibitions.
The Philately collection comprises stamps, envelopes, covers and commemorative sets. It includes a collection of colonial Australasian stamps and an important collection of world airmail stamps to 1950. Australia Post's National Philatelic Collection is also held in Victoria. Together, these form an internationally significant resource.
- Melbourne Mint and Sydney Mint coin collections.
- British Commonwealth coins.
- Pre-decimal Australian reference coins.
- Australian and New Zealand trade tokens.
- Gold-rush period token dies including those from the Kangaroo Office.
- Acclimatisation Society Medals.
- First trial for a token manufactured in Australia.
- Original press and gold scales from Melbourne Mint.
- Australia's first coins (holey dollars and dumps), 1813.
- 1888 Melbourne International Exhibition Ceremonial key and medal.
- European art medals, particularly by French artists, and Australian art medals.
- Colonial Australasian stamps.
- Antarctic stamps and medals.
- British Commonwealth stamps, 1935-1954.
- World stamps issued for airmail 1913-1953.
- Share scrip collection, with particular emphasis on Victorian gold mining.
- Australian internment camp currency.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 10361 - 10370) 12435 items
Australia Threepence, 1924 Proof strike Mint: Melbourne "On the 1924 dies of all denominations, the Melbourne Mint for the first time inserted the last numeral of the date."; see Sharp ...Images: 2
Australia Shilling 1915 (AD) Mint: Royal Mint LondonImages: 2
Australia Florin 1946 Mint: Melbourne This was the first year that 50% silver was employed for the florin denomination.Images: 2
Australia New South Wales Sydney Half Sovereign 1903 S Mint: SydneyFrom: Sydney, Australia Images: 2
Australia Penny 1951 PL Mint: Royal Mint, London The small letters PL near the rim after the word PENNY is the mint mark for London on this issue. This was the first time this mark ha ...Images: 2
Australia New South Wales Sydney Dump, 15 Pence 1813 Ref. Mira dies A/1 Production continued into 1814 but no new dies for that date were cut.Images: 2
Copper one Penny Token, minted by W.J. Taylor of London. Issued by Henry J. Hall, Christchurch, New Zealand, circa 1862. Henry Hall was a grocer, wine and spirit merchant and ran a coff ...From: Christchurch, New Zealand Images: 2
Australia Holey Dollar 1988 Mint: Perth Mint Before going into production for the 1988 commemorative holey dollar and Dump set, the Perth Mint prepared a mock-up of the proposed dollar ...Images: 2
Copper one Penny mule token was minted by W.J. Taylor of London. It was struck with the die combination B/Seated Justice and O.H. Hedberg. Hedburg was originally from Sweden but settle ...From: Hobart, Australia Images: 2
Copper One Penny Token minted by J. Moore of Birmingham. Issued to promote Professor Holloway's pills and ointments in 1857, it has been surcharged R. NURSE. Holloway tokens are presum ...From: London, United Kingdom Images: 2