Search the collections
Numismatics & Philately Collection
Image: Australia, 5 Shilling, Obverse
Source: Museum Victoria
The Numismatics and Philately Collections offer a window into societies and their values, particularly officially sanctioned values. They have a worldwide coverage of coins, historical medals, military medals, paper money, share scrip and stamps.
The most extensive parts of the collection are of Australian and British Commonwealth material. The Australian coin collection is the most important of its kind in the world, containing unique reference material retained by both the Melbourne and Sydney mints.
The Numismatic collection reflects the economic, political and technological histories of societies. It is primarily built up from the collections formed by the National Gallery of Victoria and the Melbourne Mint, and products from the Canberra Mint are still obtained.
It includes the collection of the artist Eugene von Guerard and groups of medals awarded to important Victorian figures including Frederick McCoy, Redmond Barry and Ferdinand von Mueller, together with many internationally significant pieces collected for the 1879, 1880 and 1888 Australian international exhibitions.
The Philately collection comprises stamps, envelopes, covers and commemorative sets. It includes a collection of colonial Australasian stamps and an important collection of world airmail stamps to 1950. Australia Post's National Philatelic Collection is also held in Victoria. Together, these form an internationally significant resource.
- Melbourne Mint and Sydney Mint coin collections.
- British Commonwealth coins.
- Pre-decimal Australian reference coins.
- Australian and New Zealand trade tokens.
- Gold-rush period token dies including those from the Kangaroo Office.
- Acclimatisation Society Medals.
- First trial for a token manufactured in Australia.
- Original press and gold scales from Melbourne Mint.
- Australia's first coins (holey dollars and dumps), 1813.
- 1888 Melbourne International Exhibition Ceremonial key and medal.
- European art medals, particularly by French artists, and Australian art medals.
- Colonial Australasian stamps.
- Antarctic stamps and medals.
- British Commonwealth stamps, 1935-1954.
- World stamps issued for airmail 1913-1953.
- Share scrip collection, with particular emphasis on Victorian gold mining.
- Australian internment camp currency.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 10391 - 10400) 12391 items
No Image Available
Check for the value of Half Crown, United Farmers Co-Operative Society, New Zealand.Images: 0
Copper One Penny Token, minted by Heaton & Sons, Birmingham, circa 1860. Issued by R. Andrew Mather, Family Draper, Hobart, Tasmania. This firm was established in 1823 by Robert Andrew ...From: Hobart, Australia Images: 2
Australia, Victoria Victoria Long Service and Good Conduct Medal - Edward VII Royal Mint Specimen medal with mount for ribbon, plain edge Colonial and Indian Long Service and Good Cond ...Images: 2
Australia Ten Cent coin 1999 Mint: Royal Australian, CanberraImages: 2
Australia Square pattern Halfpenny, 1921 Type 2 Mint: Melbourne Between 1919 and 1921 a series of experiments were undertaken for a square coinage in nickel to replace the large bronz ...Images: 2
Australia The Defence Medal 1939 - 45 un-named ST42166: FOUR WORLD WAR II REPLACEMENT MEDALS (NO ENGRAVED NAME OR NUMBER) 1939-1945 STAR, THE PACIFIC STAR, THE AFRICA STAR, THE DEFENCE ...Images: 2
Australia New South Wales Sydney Whitty & Brown Token Penny c.1860 (AD) Mint: Whitty and Brown Standard References: Andrews 632 = Heyde 5/1From: Sydney, Australia Images: 2
This copper Halfpenny token was minted by W.J. Taylor of London. It is a Henry J. Hall, Halfpenny token, issued in Christchurch, New Zealand, muled with a L. Levy Halfpenny token, issue ...From: Christchurch, New Zealand Images: 2
Copper One Penny Token minted by J. Moore of Birmingham. Issued to promote Professor Holloway's pills and ointments in 1857, it has been surcharged THOMAS AGENT GEELONG. Holloway token ...From: London, United Kingdom Images: 2