Search the collections
Numismatics & Philately Collection
Image: Australia, 5 Shilling, Obverse
Source: Museum Victoria
The Numismatics and Philately Collections offer a window into societies and their values, particularly officially sanctioned values. They have a worldwide coverage of coins, historical medals, military medals, paper money, share scrip and stamps.
The most extensive parts of the collection are of Australian and British Commonwealth material. The Australian coin collection is the most important of its kind in the world, containing unique reference material retained by both the Melbourne and Sydney mints.
The Numismatic collection reflects the economic, political and technological histories of societies. It is primarily built up from the collections formed by the National Gallery of Victoria and the Melbourne Mint, and products from the Canberra Mint are still obtained.
It includes the collection of the artist Eugene von Guerard and groups of medals awarded to important Victorian figures including Frederick McCoy, Redmond Barry and Ferdinand von Mueller, together with many internationally significant pieces collected for the 1879, 1880 and 1888 Australian international exhibitions.
The Philately collection comprises stamps, envelopes, covers and commemorative sets. It includes a collection of colonial Australasian stamps and an important collection of world airmail stamps to 1950. Australia Post's National Philatelic Collection is also held in Victoria. Together, these form an internationally significant resource.
- Melbourne Mint and Sydney Mint coin collections.
- British Commonwealth coins.
- Pre-decimal Australian reference coins.
- Australian and New Zealand trade tokens.
- Gold-rush period token dies including those from the Kangaroo Office.
- Acclimatisation Society Medals.
- First trial for a token manufactured in Australia.
- Original press and gold scales from Melbourne Mint.
- Australia's first coins (holey dollars and dumps), 1813.
- 1888 Melbourne International Exhibition Ceremonial key and medal.
- European art medals, particularly by French artists, and Australian art medals.
- Colonial Australasian stamps.
- Antarctic stamps and medals.
- British Commonwealth stamps, 1935-1954.
- World stamps issued for airmail 1913-1953.
- Share scrip collection, with particular emphasis on Victorian gold mining.
- Australian internment camp currency.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 10571 - 10580) 12454 items
Copper Halfpenny Token, minted by Heaton & Sons, 1857. Issued by Hide & De Carle, Grocers & Wine Merchants, Melbourne, 1857. Thomas Hide and Edward De Carle formed a partnership in 18 ...From: Melbourne, Australia Images: 2
Copper one Penny Token minted by Heaton & Sons of Birmingham, circa 1857. Issued by R. Parker an Ironmonger from Geelong, Victoria. It is surcharged J.R. Richard Parker arrived in Vict ...From: Geelong, Australia Images: 2
Copper One Penny Token, minted by Allan & Moore, London. Issued by Auckland Licensed Victuallers Association, Auckland, 1871. The Auckland Licensed Victuallers Association issued penny ...From: Auckland, New Zealand Images: 2
Australia South Australia Adelaide Five Pounds 1852 struck in Silver for the collection of A.M. LeSouef Adelaide Assay Office Mint: Struck in 1921 from the original dies at the Melbour ...From: Adelaide, Australia Images: 2
Australia Square pattern Penny, 1921 Type 12 Mint: Melbourne Between 1919 and 1921 a series of experiments were undertaken for a square coinage in nickel to replace the large bronze p ...Images: 2
No Image Available
Check for 1 Shilling, mint unknown. Issued by the Brunswick Citizens Club, Victoria, Australia.Images: 0
Australia Western Australia Perth Sovereign 1929 P Mint: PerthFrom: Perth, Australia Images: 2
No Image Available
Check for the value of 5 Shillings, mint unknown. Issued by United Farmers Co-Operative Society, New Zealand.Images: 0
Australia Australia Service Medal 1939 - 1945 1945 (AD) Mint: not recorded Awarded to: VX74401 R.C. PATERSON MEDAL GROUP, R. C. PATERSON VX 74401, CAMPAIGN MEDALS. THE WAR MEDAL 1939- ...Images: 2
Australia Florin (Two shillings) 1952 Mint: MelbourneImages: 2