Search the collections
Sustainable Futures Collection
Image: Bark - Queensland Ash
Source: Museum Victoria
This collection encompasses a diverse range of material in the fields of animal husbandry, agriculture, economic botany, food technology and textile technology.
The most significant element of the collection relates to agricultural equipment manufacturer and innovator H.V. McKay. The history of this agricultural enterprise spans from its inception in the 1880s to the present day and forms one of the largest industrial collections in Australia. It provides a window on Australian innovation, agriculture, manufacture, working lives and community life.
The collections take on new meaning with passing time. The large collection of wax models of fruit and vegetables, originally developed for 19th century international exhibitions, now plays a vital role in contributing to our understanding of contemporary issues of biodiversity.
- Models of agricultural equipment commissioned by Museum's first director Frederick McCoy in the 1860s.
- Early stump jump plough and stump jump plough models.
- Early Victorian windmills made James Alston and John Abrahams.
- McCook Collection of models, photographs and trade literature relating to windmills.
- Dethridge irrigation meter.
- Humble & Nicholson portable steam engine.
- Cowley steam traction engine.
- Quinlivan 4-wheel-drive traction engine model.
- Ferguson TEA-20 tractor.
- H.V. McKay Collection: the original McKay farm smithy, 1906 stripper harvester, HST header harvester, Sunshine auto header, rare Sunshine tractor, equipment models, business archives, trade publications, films and photographs.
- International Harvester Collection: comprising images, trade literature, newspaper clippings and documents relating to the marketing and manufacture of agricultural equipment by the American based International Harvester Company.
- Daniel Harvey Collection of trade literture and photographs relating to a small specialist firm producing orcharding and fruit grading equipment at Box Hill.
- Women on Farms Gathering Collection.
- Trade literature of agricultural equipment manufacturers and distributors, including over 12,000 product catalogues and brochures and 3,500 advertisements.
- Extensive collection of economic botany samples, much of it originally displayed at 19th century exhibitions - including items prepared by government botanist Ferdinand von Mueller in the 1860s.
- More than 1,900 wax and vegetable fruit models with sketch books and moulds, many of which depict varieties no longer grown commercially.
- Jack Chisholm Fencing Collection - including 1,200 samples of barbed wire and fencing tools.
- May Vale painted timber samples - including many rare and endangered native Australian timbers.
- Pacific Hydro wind turbine.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 1 - 10) 729 items
No Image Available
Bill Putt lives in Strathewen and is best known as one of the founding members of Australian progressive rock band Spectrum. In 2007 he composed a piece of music as a birthday gift for ...Images: 0
Condolence letter from Buckingham Palace to Karen Gardam about the Black Saturday bushfires. Karen Gardam lost her mother and brother on Black Saturday, 7 February 2009. The trauma of ...Images: 1
Condolence letter from the Governor-General to Karen Gardam about the Black Saturday bushfires. Karen Gardam lost her mother and brother on Black Saturday, 7 February 2009. The trauma ...Images: 1
Police statement to Victorian Police by Karen Gardam about the Black Saturday bushfires. In June 2009, Karen Gardam gave a statement to police about the deaths of her mother and brothe ...Images: 1
This song was written by the performing arts teacher at Billanook Primary School in Montrose, Gabrielle Murphy and her mother Stella van Tongeren. They wrote the song in response to the ...Images: 1
Gummed baggage sticker issued by the British Aircraft Corporation, Bristol to promote the Concorde supersonic airliner.Images: 1
Descriptive booklet published by British Airways. Obtained by Qantas employee John Lynch during the visit to Melbourne by Concorde G-BOAC in August 1975. Mr Lynch flew from Melbourne to ...Images: 1
CFA pamphlet titled 'Welcome to CFA', published in October 2006 and still available after the February 2009 bushfires. It outlines general information about being a member of the CFA as ...Images: 2
Pamphlet titled 'Critical Incident Stress', published by the Country Fire Authority in October 1996. It reflects community safety education and emergency response prior to Black Saturda ...Images: 2
Pamphlet titled 'Community Trauma Support', published by the Country Fire Authority in November 2001. It reflects community trauma support prior Black Saturday. The publication provides ...Images: 2