Search the collections
Sustainable Futures Collection
Image: Bark - Queensland Ash
Source: Museum Victoria
This collection encompasses a diverse range of material in the fields of animal husbandry, agriculture, economic botany, food technology and textile technology.
The most significant element of the collection relates to agricultural equipment manufacturer and innovator H.V. McKay. The history of this agricultural enterprise spans from its inception in the 1880s to the present day and forms one of the largest industrial collections in Australia. It provides a window on Australian innovation, agriculture, manufacture, working lives and community life.
The collections take on new meaning with passing time. The large collection of wax models of fruit and vegetables, originally developed for 19th century international exhibitions, now plays a vital role in contributing to our understanding of contemporary issues of biodiversity.
- Models of agricultural equipment commissioned by Museum's first director Frederick McCoy in the 1860s.
- Early stump jump plough and stump jump plough models.
- Early Victorian windmills made James Alston and John Abrahams.
- McCook Collection of models, photographs and trade literature relating to windmills.
- Dethridge irrigation meter.
- Humble & Nicholson portable steam engine.
- Cowley steam traction engine.
- Quinlivan 4-wheel-drive traction engine model.
- Ferguson TEA-20 tractor.
- H.V. McKay Collection: the original McKay farm smithy, 1906 stripper harvester, HST header harvester, Sunshine auto header, rare Sunshine tractor, equipment models, business archives, trade publications, films and photographs.
- International Harvester Collection: comprising images, trade literature, newspaper clippings and documents relating to the marketing and manufacture of agricultural equipment by the American based International Harvester Company.
- Daniel Harvey Collection of trade literture and photographs relating to a small specialist firm producing orcharding and fruit grading equipment at Box Hill.
- Women on Farms Gathering Collection.
- Trade literature of agricultural equipment manufacturers and distributors, including over 12,000 product catalogues and brochures and 3,500 advertisements.
- Extensive collection of economic botany samples, much of it originally displayed at 19th century exhibitions - including items prepared by government botanist Ferdinand von Mueller in the 1860s.
- More than 1,900 wax and vegetable fruit models with sketch books and moulds, many of which depict varieties no longer grown commercially.
- Jack Chisholm Fencing Collection - including 1,200 samples of barbed wire and fencing tools.
- May Vale painted timber samples - including many rare and endangered native Australian timbers.
- Pacific Hydro wind turbine.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 1 - 10) 47 items
No Image Available
Bill Putt lives in Strathewen and is best known as one of the founding members of Australian progressive rock band Spectrum. In 2007 he composed a piece of music as a birthday gift for ...Images: 0
This song was written by the performing arts teacher at Billanook Primary School in Montrose, Gabrielle Murphy and her mother Stella van Tongeren. They wrote the song in response to the ...Images: 1
Video titled 'NSW Wildfires January 5th-15th 1994', published by the Country Fire Authority, Victoria,1994. CFA is a volunteer-based emergency management organisation whose members are ...Images: 2
Video titled '50th Birthday Torchlight Procession 1995', issued by the Country Fire Authority in 1995. The CFA is a volunteer-based emergency management organisation whose members are f ...Images: 2
Video titled 'In the Line of Fire 1945-1995, 50 years', produced for the Country Fire Authority in1995. The CFA is a volunteer-based emergency management organisation whose members are ...Images: 2
Maximum or Maxi Card released in July 1981. Features the Leadbeater's possum 50 cent stamp which was one of the representations of endangered species in Australia. These covers were pro ...Images: 2
No Image Available
Audio interview with Norma and Harry Coomber by Liza Dale-Hallett, conducted in their new home in Yarram, on 29 May 2009. Norma and Harry Coomber, an elderly couple, lost their Devon No ...Images: 0
Audio interview with Wendy Middleton, CEO, Wimmera Uniting Care, by Liza Dale-Hallett at her offices in Horsham, on 23 July 2009. Wimmera Uniting Care is the fourth largest community ...Images: 1
No Image Available
Audio and video interview with Bernard Noonan by Liza Dale-Hallett at the DPI Offices, Horsham on 23 July 2009. Bernard Noonan is employed by the Department of Primary Industries (DPI) ...Images: 0
Audio and video interview with David and Robin McDonald by Liza Dale-Hallett at their beef property at Rosewhite, North East Victoria on 13 May 2010. This interview forms part of the V ...Images: 1