Search the collections
Sustainable Futures Collection
Image: Bark - Queensland Ash
Source: Museum Victoria
This collection encompasses a diverse range of material in the fields of animal husbandry, agriculture, economic botany, food technology and textile technology.
The most significant element of the collection relates to agricultural equipment manufacturer and innovator H.V. McKay. The history of this agricultural enterprise spans from its inception in the 1880s to the present day and forms one of the largest industrial collections in Australia. It provides a window on Australian innovation, agriculture, manufacture, working lives and community life.
The collections take on new meaning with passing time. The large collection of wax models of fruit and vegetables, originally developed for 19th century international exhibitions, now plays a vital role in contributing to our understanding of contemporary issues of biodiversity.
- Models of agricultural equipment commissioned by Museum's first director Frederick McCoy in the 1860s.
- Early stump jump plough and stump jump plough models.
- Early Victorian windmills made James Alston and John Abrahams.
- McCook Collection of models, photographs and trade literature relating to windmills.
- Dethridge irrigation meter.
- Humble & Nicholson portable steam engine.
- Cowley steam traction engine.
- Quinlivan 4-wheel-drive traction engine model.
- Ferguson TEA-20 tractor.
- H.V. McKay Collection: the original McKay farm smithy, 1906 stripper harvester, HST header harvester, Sunshine auto header, rare Sunshine tractor, equipment models, business archives, trade publications, films and photographs.
- International Harvester Collection: comprising images, trade literature, newspaper clippings and documents relating to the marketing and manufacture of agricultural equipment by the American based International Harvester Company.
- Daniel Harvey Collection of trade literture and photographs relating to a small specialist firm producing orcharding and fruit grading equipment at Box Hill.
- Women on Farms Gathering Collection.
- Trade literature of agricultural equipment manufacturers and distributors, including over 12,000 product catalogues and brochures and 3,500 advertisements.
- Extensive collection of economic botany samples, much of it originally displayed at 19th century exhibitions - including items prepared by government botanist Ferdinand von Mueller in the 1860s.
- More than 1,900 wax and vegetable fruit models with sketch books and moulds, many of which depict varieties no longer grown commercially.
- Jack Chisholm Fencing Collection - including 1,200 samples of barbed wire and fencing tools.
- May Vale painted timber samples - including many rare and endangered native Australian timbers.
- Pacific Hydro wind turbine.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 11 - 20) 658 items
Massey-Harris Reaper & Binder Trial medal, awarded to P.J. Dunn, under auspices of the Ballarat Agricultural and Pastoral Society, Mt. Blowhard, Dec 14 1893. Massey-Harris was a Canadi ...From: Blowhard, Australia Images: 2
Australia Victoria Great Western Medal - Royal Agricultural Society of Victoria Silver Prize 1908(AD) Mint: Stokes & Sons employing old Stokes & Martin dies Awarded to: Morrison, Alexan ...Images: 2
Australia Victoria Great Western Medal - Royal Agricultural Society of Victoria Silver Prize 1906 (AD) Mint: Stokes & Sons Awarded to: L.Kitz & Sons Ltd. Other Details: This medal was ...From: Melbourne, Australia Images: 2
Australia Victoria Royal Botanic Society of London Gold Prize Medal 1904 (AD) Mint: John Pinches Awarded to: Agent General for Victoria John William Taverner Other Details: This medal ...Images: 3
Australia Victoria Horsham Medal - Horsham & Wimmera District Pastoral & Agricultural Society Silver Prize c. 1875 (AD) Mint: Stokes & Martin Awarded to: Trouette and Blampied Horsham ...From: Horsham, Australia Images: 2
Copper One Penny Token, minted by Thomas Stokes, Melbourne. Issued by Robert Calder, Wine & Spirit & General Provision Merchant, Castlemaine, Victoria, 1862. Robert Calder is thought to ...From: Castlemaine, Australia Images: 2
Copper One Penny Token, minted by Stokes, Melbourne. Issued by the Alliance Tea Co, Christchurch, 1866. The Alliance Tea Company of Christchurch was perhaps 'one of the earliest busines ...
Copper Halfpenny Token, minted by Thomas Stokes, Melbourne. Issued by Edward Reece, Christchurch, circa 1860. Edward Reece was born in Shropshire, England, but left his father's farm to ...
Copper one Penny Token, minted by Stokes & Martin, circa 1873. Issued by Hobday & Jobberns, in Christchurch, New Zealand, circa 1873. Hobday & Jobberns was a drapery business in Chris ...