Search the collections
Sustainable Futures Collection
Image: Bark - Queensland Ash
Source: Museum Victoria
This collection encompasses a diverse range of material in the fields of animal husbandry, agriculture, economic botany, food technology and textile technology.
The most significant element of the collection relates to agricultural equipment manufacturer and innovator H.V. McKay. The history of this agricultural enterprise spans from its inception in the 1880s to the present day and forms one of the largest industrial collections in Australia. It provides a window on Australian innovation, agriculture, manufacture, working lives and community life.
The collections take on new meaning with passing time. The large collection of wax models of fruit and vegetables, originally developed for 19th century international exhibitions, now plays a vital role in contributing to our understanding of contemporary issues of biodiversity.
- Models of agricultural equipment commissioned by Museum's first director Frederick McCoy in the 1860s.
- Early stump jump plough and stump jump plough models.
- Early Victorian windmills made James Alston and John Abrahams.
- McCook Collection of models, photographs and trade literature relating to windmills.
- Dethridge irrigation meter.
- Humble & Nicholson portable steam engine.
- Cowley steam traction engine.
- Quinlivan 4-wheel-drive traction engine model.
- Ferguson TEA-20 tractor.
- H.V. McKay Collection: the original McKay farm smithy, 1906 stripper harvester, HST header harvester, Sunshine auto header, rare Sunshine tractor, equipment models, business archives, trade publications, films and photographs.
- International Harvester Collection: comprising images, trade literature, newspaper clippings and documents relating to the marketing and manufacture of agricultural equipment by the American based International Harvester Company.
- Daniel Harvey Collection of trade literture and photographs relating to a small specialist firm producing orcharding and fruit grading equipment at Box Hill.
- Women on Farms Gathering Collection.
- Trade literature of agricultural equipment manufacturers and distributors, including over 12,000 product catalogues and brochures and 3,500 advertisements.
- Extensive collection of economic botany samples, much of it originally displayed at 19th century exhibitions - including items prepared by government botanist Ferdinand von Mueller in the 1860s.
- More than 1,900 wax and vegetable fruit models with sketch books and moulds, many of which depict varieties no longer grown commercially.
- Jack Chisholm Fencing Collection - including 1,200 samples of barbed wire and fencing tools.
- May Vale painted timber samples - including many rare and endangered native Australian timbers.
- Pacific Hydro wind turbine.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 61 - 70) 649 items
Bronze portrait medal of John Gartner, by Michael Meszaros. It was found in the ruins of John's home in Mt Macedon after the Ash Wednesday bushfires of 1983, badly damaged but still rec ...Images: 2
Mass of fused medals by Andor Mészáros and Michael Meszaros, found in a home at Mt Macedon destroyed by the 1983 Ash Wednesday bushfires. John Gartner and his wife Zelma were well-know ...Images: 2
Diobol, Issued by the town of Rubi in Apulia, Italy, circa 200 Bcirca Mint not recordedImages: 2
Bronze Royal Humane Society of Australasia medal presented to 15 year old Florrie Hodges to recognise the bravery of her actions in protecting her two sister from harm during the Powel ...Images: 2
Copper Halfpenny Token, minted by W.J. Taylor, London. Issued by Hanks & Co, Australian Tea Mart, Sydney, 1857. J.G. Hanks joined A. Lloyd to open a business in 1855. In 1858 the compa ...From: Sydney, Australia Images: 2
Copper Halfpenny Token, minted by W.J. Taylor, London. Issued by Hanks & Lloyd, Australian Tea Mart, Sydney, 1857. J.G. Hanks joined A. Lloyd to open a business in 1855. The same year H ...From: Sydney, Australia Images: 2
Great Britain Medal - Royal Horticultural Society Thomas Andrew Knight Prize1909 (AD) Mint: John Pinches, London Awarded to: Government of Victoria Other Details: This Royal Horticultur ...From: London, United Kingdom Images: 2
Australia Victoria Ballarat Medal - Victorian Grand National Exhibition Gold Prize 1868 (AD) Awarded to: Jean Pierre Trouette Victorian Grand National Exhibition gold prize medal, awa ...From: Ballarat, Australia Images: 2
Copper One Penny Token, minted by Thomas Stokes, Melbourne. Issued by J.W.& G. Williams, Ironmongers & Drapers, Eaglehawk, Victoria, circa 1858. John Williams arrived in Melbourne from ...From: Eaglehawk, Australia Images: 2
Copper Halfpenny Token, minted by W.J. Taylor of London. Issued by Henry J. Hall, Christchurch, New Zealand, circa 1862. Henry Hall was a grocer, wine and spirit merchant and ran a coff ...From: Christchurch, New Zealand Images: 2