Search the collections
Trade Literature Collection
Image: Electrice Electric Refrigeration leaflet
Source: Museum Victoria
Museum Victoria's Trade Literature Collection is the largest and most diverse collection of its type in any Australian public institution. Comprising about 50,000 items, representing more than 5,000 Australian and overseas manufacturers, the collection documents manufactured products made, marketed or used in Australia between 1850 and the present.
Trade Literature can be broadly defined as any text or text-and-image-based publication produced by manufacturers or distributors to promote, market, explain or maintain their product lines. It includes items such as promotional brochures, advertisements, product catalogues, repair and maintenance manuals, price lists, accessory lists, parts lists, sales bulletins, specification sheets and technical bulletins.
Advertisements are defined as a specific category of trade literature that appears as an insert within a more general book, newspaper, journal, trade directory or other publication. Advertisements usually occupy only a single page or a portion of a page within a larger publication, although in some cases they may run to several pages.
The Trade Literature Collection is used by museum staff and external researchers to:
- Provide items for exhibition, display and reproduction.
- Document aspects of Australian technological development in areas in which the museum is unable to develop and maintain extensive three-dimensional artefact collections.
- Identify and date technological artefacts found or used in Australia.
- Provide insights into the social and technological context in which different types of products were originally developed and marketed.
- Provide insight into changes in marketing techniques and graphic design used in the promotion of products over time.
- Examine processes of innovation, industrial design and the way companies have promoted their new product ideas.
- Examine what technologies were available in Australia at different periods and the process of technological transfer from overseas.
- Provide information about the relative cost of technological products and how they were marketed.
- Understand in more detail how particular technologies worked or were designed and manufactured.
- Research the impact and distribution of different technologies in Australia in a historical context.
- Provide information that can be used in the restoration, conservation and interpretation of technological artefacts.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 31 - 40) 505 items
Assembly and working instruction booklet for a Sunshine No. 4 Pump and X 2-Type Duster mounted on a Planet JR. Tractor. The booklet contains detailed instructions on the process of moun ...Images: 6
Details the benefit if the Sunshine chaffcutter. The availability of shields and cover is heavily featured, emphasising the dangerous nature of much agricultural work. The machine was ...Images: 2
The cover of the leaflet features a photograph of tractor drawn harrows and horse-drawn harrows. The use of images of both horses and tractors on the cover is interesting as this was pe ...Images: 2
A pocket sized price list of the "SUN" Line of Harvesting, Tilling, Cultivating, Seeding, and other Agricultural Implements, Machines and Farm Accessories. Each product has a detailed i ...Images: 2
A book format price list of Farm Machinery in Victoria. This publication has a soft cardboard cover with watermark printing and title on the front. Printed engravings on the rear show a ...Images: 2
Details the range of machinery provided by the McKay Massey Harris company during the early war years. Labour saving devices such as 'one man control' where a farmer could operate the t ...Images: 2
Booklet containing a list of duplicate parts for the Sunshine No. 6 Power-Take-Off Header, manufactured at the Sunshine Harvester Works by H.V. McKay Massey Harris. Information inside ...Images: 7
Booklet containing a list of duplicate parts for the Sunshoe Seed Planter and Fertilizer. The cover references the Sunshine Harvester Works and lists the Australian Branches and Distrib ...Images: 2
Booklet containing a list of duplicate parts for the Sungrubber 7 and 9 Tyne. The cover references the Sunshine Harvester Works and lists the Australian Branches and Distributors. Infor ...Images: 2