Search the collections
Trade Literature Collection
Image: Electrice Electric Refrigeration leaflet
Source: Museum Victoria
Museum Victoria's Trade Literature Collection is the largest and most diverse collection of its type in any Australian public institution. Comprising about 50,000 items, representing more than 5,000 Australian and overseas manufacturers, the collection documents manufactured products made, marketed or used in Australia between 1850 and the present.
Trade Literature can be broadly defined as any text or text-and-image-based publication produced by manufacturers or distributors to promote, market, explain or maintain their product lines. It includes items such as promotional brochures, advertisements, product catalogues, repair and maintenance manuals, price lists, accessory lists, parts lists, sales bulletins, specification sheets and technical bulletins.
Advertisements are defined as a specific category of trade literature that appears as an insert within a more general book, newspaper, journal, trade directory or other publication. Advertisements usually occupy only a single page or a portion of a page within a larger publication, although in some cases they may run to several pages.
The Trade Literature Collection is used by museum staff and external researchers to:
- Provide items for exhibition, display and reproduction.
- Document aspects of Australian technological development in areas in which the museum is unable to develop and maintain extensive three-dimensional artefact collections.
- Identify and date technological artefacts found or used in Australia.
- Provide insights into the social and technological context in which different types of products were originally developed and marketed.
- Provide insight into changes in marketing techniques and graphic design used in the promotion of products over time.
- Examine processes of innovation, industrial design and the way companies have promoted their new product ideas.
- Examine what technologies were available in Australia at different periods and the process of technological transfer from overseas.
- Provide information about the relative cost of technological products and how they were marketed.
- Understand in more detail how particular technologies worked or were designed and manufactured.
- Research the impact and distribution of different technologies in Australia in a historical context.
- Provide information that can be used in the restoration, conservation and interpretation of technological artefacts.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 41 - 50) 505 items
Book containing a list of duplicate parts for the Sundercut and Sunderseeder No. 10. Instructions for ordering parts is included inside the front cover along with the registered telegr ...Images: 2
Booklet containing a list of duplicate parts for the 14 Disc Sunderseeder, a combination of the 14-Disc Double Rear Wheel Sundercut and the 1-4Row Sun Grain and Fertilizer Drill. The co ...Images: 2
Booklet containing a list of duplicate parts for the 2 Furrow "National" Gang Plough. The cover references the Sunshine Harvester Works and lists the Australian Branches and Distributor ...Images: 2
Booklet containing a list of duplicate parts for various models of Sunshine Chaffcutters. The cover references the Sunshine Harvester Works and lists the Australian Branches and Distrib ...Images: 2
An abridged price list in leaflet format of Farm and Orchard Implements, Machines, Engines, &c. in Victoria. The leaflet is a list of 33 products with prices for delivery at Sunshine. ...Images: 2
This is a short promotional catalogue relating specifically to the S.M.H Hay Press which is advertised as 'Easy to Store, Easier to Feed, Easier to Sell, More Nutriment, Less Fire Risk' ...Images: 2
Folded publicity leaflet titled 'Increase the carrying capacity of your land', which when unfolded appears in the style of a newspaper. Further headline reads 'Fodder Conservation, the ...Images: 2
This is a short product catalogue relating specifically to the Sunshine Massey Harris Model 30K Tractor. 'Smooth, economical, POWER for orchards, vegetables, mixed farming, with the new ...Images: 2
The content of this catalogue celebrates the tractor's easy usage, modernity, comfort and power. Some assertions on the inside cover include: "Sunshine Massey Harris 101 tractors - give ...Images: 2
The catalogue contains descriptions and images of various farming machinery for tillage (ie cultivators, ploughs and tooth harrows), seeding and fertilising, harvesting, dairying, pastu ...Images: 1