Search the collections
Trade Literature Collection
Image: Electrice Electric Refrigeration leaflet
Source: Museum Victoria
Museum Victoria's Trade Literature Collection is the largest and most diverse collection of its type in any Australian public institution. Comprising about 50,000 items, representing more than 5,000 Australian and overseas manufacturers, the collection documents manufactured products made, marketed or used in Australia between 1850 and the present.
Trade Literature can be broadly defined as any text or text-and-image-based publication produced by manufacturers or distributors to promote, market, explain or maintain their product lines. It includes items such as promotional brochures, advertisements, product catalogues, repair and maintenance manuals, price lists, accessory lists, parts lists, sales bulletins, specification sheets and technical bulletins.
Advertisements are defined as a specific category of trade literature that appears as an insert within a more general book, newspaper, journal, trade directory or other publication. Advertisements usually occupy only a single page or a portion of a page within a larger publication, although in some cases they may run to several pages.
The Trade Literature Collection is used by museum staff and external researchers to:
- Provide items for exhibition, display and reproduction.
- Document aspects of Australian technological development in areas in which the museum is unable to develop and maintain extensive three-dimensional artefact collections.
- Identify and date technological artefacts found or used in Australia.
- Provide insights into the social and technological context in which different types of products were originally developed and marketed.
- Provide insight into changes in marketing techniques and graphic design used in the promotion of products over time.
- Examine processes of innovation, industrial design and the way companies have promoted their new product ideas.
- Examine what technologies were available in Australia at different periods and the process of technological transfer from overseas.
- Provide information about the relative cost of technological products and how they were marketed.
- Understand in more detail how particular technologies worked or were designed and manufactured.
- Research the impact and distribution of different technologies in Australia in a historical context.
- Provide information that can be used in the restoration, conservation and interpretation of technological artefacts.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 41 - 50) 543 items
No Image Available
Publicity brochure from the H. V. McKay Massey Harris trade literature collection. This flip brochure provides an overview to a new and "modern" range of Sunshine Mounted tools. The pro ...Images: 0
The bounded promotional leaflet informs about an engine functioned pickup baler. Gives detailed information about economical and technical advantages. Includes large photographs and int ...Images: 2
The booklet provides detailed information about the HG Cletrac model including large drawings of the machinery and photographs with technical details. Specifications of the product list ...Images: 2
Comprehensive catalogue covering a range of different farming equipment manufactured by H.V. McKay. Each product listed is accompanied by a brief description and image. The third last ...Images: 6
Promotional flyer published in 1940 publicising H.V McKay Massey Harris' Sunfeed Grinding Mill. "Every dairy, pig, and poultry farmer should possess a Sunfeed Grinding Mill" asserts thi ...Images: 1
Pocket-sized promotional flyer showcasing the Sunhay One-Horse Tumbler Sweep. The hay sweep is marketed as being "simple, strong, efficient and low-priced". Despite the availability of ...Images: 4
Flyer for Vokes air filter that was distributed by H.V McKay Massey Harris in Australia. The flyer stats that "farming in most parts of Australia means working in dusty conditions" and ...Images: 2
Promotional pamphlet outlining the various features of the Sunshine Maize Husker and Sheller including the drum, concave, elevator, bagging, lubrication, feed table, pulleys, riddles an ...Images: 4
Publicity leaflet promoting 560 toolbars and attachments for Category 1 and 2 tractors. The toolbars promoted in this pamphlet are marketed for use in an orchard, vineyard, cane farm an ...Images: 4
A large format booklet detailing the 528 Mounted Trash Rake. The publication is for Category 1 & 2 Tractors with 3 Point Linkage and contains specification, assembly and coupling, safet ...Images: 5