Search the collections
Trade Literature Collection
Image: Electrice Electric Refrigeration leaflet
Source: Museum Victoria
Museum Victoria's Trade Literature Collection is the largest and most diverse collection of its type in any Australian public institution. Comprising about 50,000 items, representing more than 5,000 Australian and overseas manufacturers, the collection documents manufactured products made, marketed or used in Australia between 1850 and the present.
Trade Literature can be broadly defined as any text or text-and-image-based publication produced by manufacturers or distributors to promote, market, explain or maintain their product lines. It includes items such as promotional brochures, advertisements, product catalogues, repair and maintenance manuals, price lists, accessory lists, parts lists, sales bulletins, specification sheets and technical bulletins.
Advertisements are defined as a specific category of trade literature that appears as an insert within a more general book, newspaper, journal, trade directory or other publication. Advertisements usually occupy only a single page or a portion of a page within a larger publication, although in some cases they may run to several pages.
The Trade Literature Collection is used by museum staff and external researchers to:
- Provide items for exhibition, display and reproduction.
- Document aspects of Australian technological development in areas in which the museum is unable to develop and maintain extensive three-dimensional artefact collections.
- Identify and date technological artefacts found or used in Australia.
- Provide insights into the social and technological context in which different types of products were originally developed and marketed.
- Provide insight into changes in marketing techniques and graphic design used in the promotion of products over time.
- Examine processes of innovation, industrial design and the way companies have promoted their new product ideas.
- Examine what technologies were available in Australia at different periods and the process of technological transfer from overseas.
- Provide information about the relative cost of technological products and how they were marketed.
- Understand in more detail how particular technologies worked or were designed and manufactured.
- Research the impact and distribution of different technologies in Australia in a historical context.
- Provide information that can be used in the restoration, conservation and interpretation of technological artefacts.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 61 - 70) 543 items
Book containing a list of duplicate parts for the hydraulic equipment as fitted to 744D, 745 and 44K Sunshine Massey Harris Tractors. Instructions for ordering parts is included inside ...Images: 8
Booklet containing a list of duplicate parts for the Massey Harris No. 18 Cultivating Drill. The cover lists the Australian Branches and Distributors. Information inside the front cover ...Images: 10
Booklet containing a list of duplicate parts for the Sundigger Rigid-Tyne Scarifier and Spring-Tyne Cultivator. The cover references the Sunshine Harvester Works. Parts are listed in a ...Images: 9
Booklet containing a list of duplicate parts for the Rotary Screen and Fittings for Sunshine Harvesters A.L. Type. The cover references the Sunshine Harvester Works and lists the Austra ...Images: 6
Booklet containing a supplementary list of duplicate parts for the Sunshine No. 2 Power-Take-Off Header. The cover references the Sunshine Harvester Works and lists the Australian branc ...Images: 12
Leaflet containing a list of duplicate parts for the Sunshine Power Drive Coupling when fitted to a tractor in conjunction with Sunshine Power Drive Headers. The cover lists the tractor ...Images: 3
Booklet containing a list of duplicate parts for the Sunweeder Sugar Cane Cleaner. The cover references the Sunshine Harvester Works and lists the Australian Branches and Distributors. ...Images: 7
Leaflet containing a list of duplicate parts for the Reversed Lever & Fittings for the Tractor Pull. The cover references the Sunshine Harvester Works and lists the Australian branches ...Images: 8
A single page containing a list of duplicate parts for the Tractor Hitch for the Sunshine Harvester, Light Draught, A.L. Type. The front page references the Sunshine Harvester Works and ...Images: 4
Pocket sized price lists by state issued to agents and employees only. Each item has a code word included to simplify ordering. There is a remarkable range of words used including ?Ar ...Images: 14