Search the collections
Image: Grip Car - Cable Tram Model, Collingwood & Clifton Hill Route
Source: Museum Victoria
Transport has played a key role in the settlement and development of Victoria, helping to shape the form of our urban and rural landscapes and impacting on the everyday life of all Victorians for over 175 years.
The Museum's Transport collection aims to document historical developments in the types of transport used both within Victoria and between Victoria and other Australian or overseas locations. In particular it focuses on the nature of technological change, as well as the social impact and context of changing modes of transport. A particular emphasis of the collection is to record aspects of our transport heritage that are distinctively Victorian.
The collection commenced with ship models originally displayed in the 19th century international exhibitions. Through the 20th century the Industrial & Technological Museum and then the Science Museum acquired historically significant aircraft and vehicles with a strong Victorian provenance, including horse-drawn and early motor vehicles. A series of models was commissioned documenting the development of locomotives and rollingstock of the Victorian Railways. Many of the larger items also document significant milestones in Australian innovation or manufacture.
- Flight Memory (Black Box) Flight Recorder prototype.
- Duigan biplane, the first Australian-built aeroplane to achieve a successful powered flight.
- Aubrey Lock aero engine (1910), the 2nd oldest Australian aero engine; Gipsy Major aero engine (serial no.1, by GMH, Fisherman's Bend, circa 1939), the first aero engine mass-produced in Australia.
- Pre-1925 British, French and American aero engines.
- Wirraway aircraft.
- Prototype Victa Air Tourer.
- Gerald & Lorna Dee collection of railway locomotive and rollingstock builders' plates: an internationally significant collection of over 350 plates.
- Eric Quinlan Collection of over 100 locomotive plates.
- Victorian Railways uniforms, badges, equipment, union testimonials, watches and other memorabilia.
- 1/3 scale model of Victorian Railways C-class steam locomotive (built by apprentices).
- Polly tank locomotive Z-526: first steam locomotive built at Newport Railway Workshops (1893).
- Cable Tram No. 1 (1880), Melbourne's first cable tram, and related cable tram archives and artefacts.
- Nationally significant locally manufactured automobiles: including Thomson steam car (1898), Haines & Grut (circa 1909), Deliverette prototype (1947), Holden 48-215 (1950), Hartnett (1950) & Ilinga prototype sports car (1972). Also letter books and other archival material relating to Thomson Motor Co.'s attempts to manufacture cars in Melbourne (circa 1900-1903).
- Horse-drawn vehicles, including Abbott & Downing Concord Coach (1867), Hooper & Co. State Landau & State Coach (1890s), Melbourne-built Albert Car (1860s), Baillieu Brougham (1880s) and Victorian-built Cobb & Co Coach (circa 1880).
- Significant examples of 19th and 20th century bicycles: including Malvern Star Collection of 12 bicycles from the best-known Australian manufacturer; Sir Hubert Opperman racing bicycles and memorabilia.
- Ship models, including examples of important late 19th and early 20th century immigrant ships, coastal Australian shipping and the Port Phillip Bay steamers Edina, Weeroona, Hygeia and Ozone.
- Cowley traction engine (1916), Cowley steam roller (1930s), McDonald Super Diesel Roller (1925) and Super Sentinel Steam Waggon (circa 1925).
- Morris Commerical Bullion Van (circa 1935) used by the Reserve Bank.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 1021 - 1030) 1157 items
Official certificate of repatriation issued to Barbara Condurateanu on 7 August 1947, while she was in a Displaced Persons camp in Germany. Barbara Condurateanu was a Romanian refugee ...Images: 3
Baggage label from the Huddart Parker Line, used circa 1950s. The letter refers to the alphabetical organisation of baggage by surname. It is part of a collection of shipboard souvenirs ...From: Melbourne, Australia Images: 3
Information booklet issued by AMETCO Travel in 1964. It details a composite schedule of all passenger liners sailing from Australia to Europe (England and Continent) and from Europe to ...From: Melbourne, Australia Images: 4
Newspaper 'Glasul Patriei' Annual One, Number 9, printed in Berlin, dated 1 March 1956. This newspaper was probably used to line the wooden container in which the Condurateanu's stored ...From: Berlin, Germany Images: 1
Set of three Baggage carriage receipts used by the P&O Line circa 1950s stating that carriage has been paid through to Tilbury Dock. They are part of a collection of shipboard souvenirs ...From: London, United Kingdom Images: 3
Information leaflet issued by the GPO (UK) in 1963. It details how to keep in touch with friends and relatives during ship voyage, including radiotelephone calls, radiotelegrams, and s ...From: Melbourne, Australia Images: 4
Australian Customs red baggage label, used circa 1950s. It was used to note that baggage had been inspected and passed by Customs. It is part of a collection of immigration related mate ...From: Port Melbourne, Australia Images: 2
Flotta Lauro luggage label, used on the ship circa 1950s. It is part of a collection of shipboard souvenirs collected by Margaret Wood an officer in the Department of Immigration from 1 ...Images: 6
Invoice to Nicolae Condurateanu from Lloyd P Goode, Barrister and Solicitor of Oxford Chambers Melbourne, regarding payment by instalments of the legal fees for purchase of the Spencer ...From: Melbourne, Australia Images: 1