Search the collections
Image: Grip Car - Cable Tram Model, Collingwood & Clifton Hill Route
Source: Museum Victoria
Transport has played a key role in the settlement and development of Victoria, helping to shape the form of our urban and rural landscapes and impacting on the everyday life of all Victorians for over 175 years.
The Museum's Transport collection aims to document historical developments in the types of transport used both within Victoria and between Victoria and other Australian or overseas locations. In particular it focuses on the nature of technological change, as well as the social impact and context of changing modes of transport. A particular emphasis of the collection is to record aspects of our transport heritage that are distinctively Victorian.
The collection commenced with ship models originally displayed in the 19th century international exhibitions. Through the 20th century the Industrial & Technological Museum and then the Science Museum acquired historically significant aircraft and vehicles with a strong Victorian provenance, including horse-drawn and early motor vehicles. A series of models was commissioned documenting the development of locomotives and rollingstock of the Victorian Railways. Many of the larger items also document significant milestones in Australian innovation or manufacture.
- Flight Memory (Black Box) Flight Recorder prototype.
- Duigan biplane, the first Australian-built aeroplane to achieve a successful powered flight.
- Aubrey Lock aero engine (1910), the 2nd oldest Australian aero engine; Gipsy Major aero engine (serial no.1, by GMH, Fisherman's Bend, circa 1939), the first aero engine mass-produced in Australia.
- Pre-1925 British, French and American aero engines.
- Wirraway aircraft.
- Prototype Victa Air Tourer.
- Gerald & Lorna Dee collection of railway locomotive and rollingstock builders' plates: an internationally significant collection of over 350 plates.
- Eric Quinlan Collection of over 100 locomotive plates.
- Victorian Railways uniforms, badges, equipment, union testimonials, watches and other memorabilia.
- 1/3 scale model of Victorian Railways C-class steam locomotive (built by apprentices).
- Polly tank locomotive Z-526: first steam locomotive built at Newport Railway Workshops (1893).
- Cable Tram No. 1 (1880), Melbourne's first cable tram, and related cable tram archives and artefacts.
- Nationally significant locally manufactured automobiles: including Thomson steam car (1898), Haines & Grut (circa 1909), Deliverette prototype (1947), Holden 48-215 (1950), Hartnett (1950) & Ilinga prototype sports car (1972). Also letter books and other archival material relating to Thomson Motor Co.'s attempts to manufacture cars in Melbourne (circa 1900-1903).
- Horse-drawn vehicles, including Abbott & Downing Concord Coach (1867), Hooper & Co. State Landau & State Coach (1890s), Melbourne-built Albert Car (1860s), Baillieu Brougham (1880s) and Victorian-built Cobb & Co Coach (circa 1880).
- Significant examples of 19th and 20th century bicycles: including Malvern Star Collection of 12 bicycles from the best-known Australian manufacturer; Sir Hubert Opperman racing bicycles and memorabilia.
- Ship models, including examples of important late 19th and early 20th century immigrant ships, coastal Australian shipping and the Port Phillip Bay steamers Edina, Weeroona, Hygeia and Ozone.
- Cowley traction engine (1916), Cowley steam roller (1930s), McDonald Super Diesel Roller (1925) and Super Sentinel Steam Waggon (circa 1925).
- Morris Commerical Bullion Van (circa 1935) used by the Reserve Bank.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 11 - 20) 776 items
Voucher pack that includes pre-paid toll vouchers that enable a car to utilise the West Gate Bridge, circa 1970-1980. Each voucher permits one crossing only for a 'Commuter Class 1 Vehi ...Images: 1
Concord or thorough-brace type coach made by Abbott & Downing, Coach builders of New Hampshire, U.S.A. In the late 1860s. Imported by Harold Clapp & Co. This coach is of the style of ve ...Images: 6
Sailing boat named "Patsy" used in fishing for barracouta in Port Phillip and Tasmania. The boat was built by J.B. Jones in his boatshed on the Maribyrnong River at Ascot Vale, in about ...Images: 6
Pale blue satin ribbon cut at the ceremony to mark the opening of the first section of the Calder Freeway, at Niddrie, Victoria, on Friday 21st April, 1972. The ceremony was presided ov ...Images: 1
Port and starboard navigation lamps from the Port Phillip Bay steamer S.S. 'Edina', that operated for Wm Howard Smith & Sons Limited on the Melbourne-Geelong passenger sevice between 18 ...Images: 1
Brass ship's bell made from metal salvaged from the MV Britannic built by Harland & Wolff, Belfast for the White Star Line in 1929 and broken up at Inverkeithing, Scotland in 1961.Images: 2
Two-part brown wicker travel basket, which was brought to Australia by Margaret Henderson Miller (1825-1925), when she migrated with her husband James (1815-1892), daughter Martha (1853 ...Images: 2
Two samples of the first plastic aeroplane components produced in Australia during World War II. The process was invented and produced by Frederick L. Cooke & Williams Pty Ltd of 40-68 ...Images: 1
No Image Available
Wooden rib from the upper wing of a German Pfalz biplane. Obtained in Palestine during the First World War by Lieutenant S.A. Nunan and presented to the Museum by his brother Paul in 19 ...Images: 0
No Image Available
Wooden rib from the upper wing of a German Albatros DV.A biplane. Consists of a 3-ply web with two oval lightening holes and includes sections of three wing spars. Obtained in Palestine ...Images: 0