Search the collections
Working Life & Trades Collection
Image: Planes - Jack, Trying, Grooving, Tongueing and Moulding, Yarra Punt Builder
Source: Museum Victoria
This collection aims to document and preserve the history of Victorian workers, and to record their impact on and contribution to Australian society.
Focussing on the post-European settlement period to the present, it aims to reflect the experiences and actions of individuals and groups of workers in different historical, personal, social, economic and cultural settings. It also aims to document the personal and unique renderings of workers' experiences and actions.
Much of the collection documents 'case studies' of working life in Victoria and Australia. These offer insight into a particular type of workplace and work, with some emphasis on workers' voices, while the wider collection represents a variety of working-life skills, experiences and cultures.
The strengths of the collection lie in its coverage of early to mid-20th century factory work, small businesses and trades and the trade union movement. It focuses on work practices in more formal work environments such as factories, commercial workshops and the traditional apprentice-based trades, but is complemented by other collections of less formal workplace objects, such as the home work and handicrafts area in the Domestic and Community Life Collection.
Trades relating to metalworking and precision engineering, especially those requiring the extensive use of machine tools and power tools, are covered under the Engineering Collection rather than in Trades.
- Barfoot Bootmaking Collection: 211 items from a former surgical bootmaker's business.
- Bruhn Collection: 985 items from a father and son woodturning shop operated in Carlton and later South Melbourne, 1920s-1980s.
- Grenoble Gloves Collection: 454 items from a Melbourne glove factory started in 1944.
- McInnes Delicatessen and Butcher's Shop: 106 items from the East Malvern shop, which operated from 1933 to the 1970s.
- Newmarket Saleyards Collection: 27 items from former livestock saleyards.
- Pigment Manufacturers of Australia (PMA): 135 items from a major paint manufacturing plant at Laverton, 1960s-1990s.
- Sam Brown Bootmaker's Collection: 297 items from a former bootmaker's shop in Albert Park, c. 1930s-1980s.
- Simpson's Gloves Collection: 1491 items from the former Simpson's Glove Factory which operated in Victoria Street, Richmond, from 1924 until 1988.
- Victorian Institute for the Blind Collection: 107 items from former RVIB workshops.
- Artworks, including Ambrose Dyson, David Armfield and Aileen Brown, 1950s-1980s.
- 'Stick Together' radio program oral history collection, 1970s-1980s.
- Contemporary occupational health and safety material, 1990s.
- Stonemason's tools and early bootmaking machinery.
See The Working Life Collection, and an essay on this collection from A Museum for the People: A history of Museum Victoria and its predecessor institutions 1854-2000.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 8191 - 8200) 9383 items
Copper one Penny Token minted by Heaton & Sons of Birmingham, circa 1857. Issued by R. Parker an Ironmonger from Geelong, Victoria. It is surcharged A VINCENT. Richard Parker arrived i ...From: Geelong, Australia Images: 2
Photograph of a foundry process operator collecting molten metal for casting at the foundry workshop of Daniel Harvey Pty. Ltd., Box Hill, Victoria, agricultural implement manufacturers ...From: Box Hill, Australia Images: 1
'June 1948' a close-up view of a 'Sunlord' boxed-frame 4-furrow disc plough fitted with disc arms and bearings, showing the adjustable screw-lift to the rear cranked axle. This implemen ...From: Sunshine, Australia Images: 1
Copper one Penny token, minted by Thomas Stokes of Melbourne. Issued by Thomas Stokes, Diesinker, Token Maker & Medallist, Melbourne, in 1862. Surcharged G. HYDE. This token is one of ...From: Melbourne, Australia Images: 2
Copper Halfpenny Token minted by J. Moore of Birmingham. Issued to promote Professor Holloway's pills and ointments in 1857, it has been surcharged J. DALTO. Holloway tokens are presum ...From: London, United Kingdom Images: 2
Copper One Penny Token minted by J. Moore of Birmingham. Issued to promote Professor Holloway's pills and ointments in 1857, it has been surcharged KING below a crown. Holloway tokens ...From: London, United Kingdom Images: 2
Side view of a Sunshine high wheel spring tyne cultivator fitted with six tyne-floats, for better soil penetration on contours and uneven ground.Images: 1
International C series tray-bodied motor truck marked 'Geo H Green & Sons, Cartage Contractors' parked on unmade road beside parkland.Images: 1
Part of a large photographic collection of glass plate and film negatives, photographic prints and photo albums, relating to the development of the electric power supply industry in Vic ...Images: 1