Search the collections
Working Life & Trades Collection
Image: Planes - Jack, Trying, Grooving, Tongueing and Moulding, Yarra Punt Builder
Source: Museum Victoria
This collection aims to document and preserve the history of Victorian workers, and to record their impact on and contribution to Australian society.
Focussing on the post-European settlement period to the present, it aims to reflect the experiences and actions of individuals and groups of workers in different historical, personal, social, economic and cultural settings. It also aims to document the personal and unique renderings of workers' experiences and actions.
Much of the collection documents 'case studies' of working life in Victoria and Australia. These offer insight into a particular type of workplace and work, with some emphasis on workers' voices, while the wider collection represents a variety of working-life skills, experiences and cultures.
The strengths of the collection lie in its coverage of early to mid-20th century factory work, small businesses and trades and the trade union movement. It focuses on work practices in more formal work environments such as factories, commercial workshops and the traditional apprentice-based trades, but is complemented by other collections of less formal workplace objects, such as the home work and handicrafts area in the Domestic and Community Life Collection.
Trades relating to metalworking and precision engineering, especially those requiring the extensive use of machine tools and power tools, are covered under the Engineering Collection rather than in Trades.
- Barfoot Bootmaking Collection: 211 items from a former surgical bootmaker's business.
- Bruhn Collection: 985 items from a father and son woodturning shop operated in Carlton and later South Melbourne, 1920s-1980s.
- Grenoble Gloves Collection: 454 items from a Melbourne glove factory started in 1944.
- McInnes Delicatessen and Butcher's Shop: 106 items from the East Malvern shop, which operated from 1933 to the 1970s.
- Newmarket Saleyards Collection: 27 items from former livestock saleyards.
- Pigment Manufacturers of Australia (PMA): 135 items from a major paint manufacturing plant at Laverton, 1960s-1990s.
- Sam Brown Bootmaker's Collection: 297 items from a former bootmaker's shop in Albert Park, c. 1930s-1980s.
- Simpson's Gloves Collection: 1491 items from the former Simpson's Glove Factory which operated in Victoria Street, Richmond, from 1924 until 1988.
- Victorian Institute for the Blind Collection: 107 items from former RVIB workshops.
- Artworks, including Ambrose Dyson, David Armfield and Aileen Brown, 1950s-1980s.
- 'Stick Together' radio program oral history collection, 1970s-1980s.
- Contemporary occupational health and safety material, 1990s.
- Stonemason's tools and early bootmaking machinery.
See The Working Life Collection, and an essay on this collection from A Museum for the People: A history of Museum Victoria and its predecessor institutions 1854-2000.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 8211 - 8220) 11694 items
Black and white 5" x 4" negative showing a group of male and female textile workers cutting out patterns for garment construction on work benches at a textiles factory in the 1950s. Th ...From: Alphington, Australia Images: 1
Copper One Penny Token, minted by Thomas Stokes, Melbourne, 1862. Issued by J. Hosie, The Scotch Pie, Melbourne. James Hosie came to Melbourne in 1853 from Leith, Scotland. Hosie initia ...From: Melbourne, Australia Images: 2
The Biggest Family Album of Australia, Museum VictoriaFrom: Ballarat, Australia Images: 1
Copper One Penny Token, minted by W.J. Taylor, London. Issued by I. Friedman, Pawnbroker, Hobart, Tasmania, in 1857. Isaac Friedman, was living in Hobart by 1840 and commenced business ...From: Hobart, Australia Images: 2
Standard imperial half gallon, brass. Made by Potter, London. Originally used by the Customs Department as the Imperial standard measure for Victoria. Transferred to Melbourne Observat ...From: London, United Kingdom Images: 2
Pair of Paragon high-heeled shoes with ankle straps, teal blue at front with red trim, back support and heel. Part of the Belle Chaussure range, 'Rema' design, made in Australia. Parag ...From: Melbourne, Australia Images: 1
Black and white photograph featuring Stan Greenhatch, aged 17, and another shop assistant standing outside the 'Wright Bros Delicatessen' at Prahran Market in 1929. The shop window has ...From: Prahran, Australia Images: 2
Black and white aerial photograph taken towards Hampshire Road It is of the soldier settlement area built by McKay for its workers. The area was located in Albion, bounded by Adelaide, ...From: Sunshine, Australia Images: 1
Australia New South Wales Sydney Whitty & Brown Token Penny c.1860 (AD) Mint: Whitty and Brown Standard References: Andrews 624 = Heyde 275/1From: Sydney, Australia Images: 2