Search the collections
Working Life & Trades Collection
Image: Planes - Jack, Trying, Grooving, Tongueing and Moulding, Yarra Punt Builder
Source: Museum Victoria
This collection aims to document and preserve the history of Victorian workers, and to record their impact on and contribution to Australian society.
Focussing on the post-European settlement period to the present, it aims to reflect the experiences and actions of individuals and groups of workers in different historical, personal, social, economic and cultural settings. It also aims to document the personal and unique renderings of workers' experiences and actions.
Much of the collection documents 'case studies' of working life in Victoria and Australia. These offer insight into a particular type of workplace and work, with some emphasis on workers' voices, while the wider collection represents a variety of working-life skills, experiences and cultures.
The strengths of the collection lie in its coverage of early to mid-20th century factory work, small businesses and trades and the trade union movement. It focuses on work practices in more formal work environments such as factories, commercial workshops and the traditional apprentice-based trades, but is complemented by other collections of less formal workplace objects, such as the home work and handicrafts area in the Domestic and Community Life Collection.
Trades relating to metalworking and precision engineering, especially those requiring the extensive use of machine tools and power tools, are covered under the Engineering Collection rather than in Trades.
- Barfoot Bootmaking Collection: 211 items from a former surgical bootmaker's business.
- Bruhn Collection: 985 items from a father and son woodturning shop operated in Carlton and later South Melbourne, 1920s-1980s.
- Grenoble Gloves Collection: 454 items from a Melbourne glove factory started in 1944.
- McInnes Delicatessen and Butcher's Shop: 106 items from the East Malvern shop, which operated from 1933 to the 1970s.
- Newmarket Saleyards Collection: 27 items from former livestock saleyards.
- Pigment Manufacturers of Australia (PMA): 135 items from a major paint manufacturing plant at Laverton, 1960s-1990s.
- Sam Brown Bootmaker's Collection: 297 items from a former bootmaker's shop in Albert Park, c. 1930s-1980s.
- Simpson's Gloves Collection: 1491 items from the former Simpson's Glove Factory which operated in Victoria Street, Richmond, from 1924 until 1988.
- Victorian Institute for the Blind Collection: 107 items from former RVIB workshops.
- Artworks, including Ambrose Dyson, David Armfield and Aileen Brown, 1950s-1980s.
- 'Stick Together' radio program oral history collection, 1970s-1980s.
- Contemporary occupational health and safety material, 1990s.
- Stonemason's tools and early bootmaking machinery.
See The Working Life Collection, and an essay on this collection from A Museum for the People: A history of Museum Victoria and its predecessor institutions 1854-2000.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 8251 - 8260) 10994 items
Photograph is located in an album: Volume No.1: 'Views of Factories and Branches', page 116. This is one of 25 albums that provide detailed visual documentation of the activities of th ...From: Sunshine, Australia Images: 1
Control handwheel for inlet isolation valve of the No. 2 pumping well. Located in the South Engine Room.Images: 1
Knitting sample of the right front piece for a cardigan, one of many made by Edda Azzola to test designs prior to making a garment. Edda Azzola, nee Pugnetti, was born in 1927 in Moggi ...From: Reservoir, Australia Images: 1
No Image Available
Quart measure in set of five volume measures for petroleum spirits, in one fitted wooden box. Measures are made of brass, with handles, spillage lips and stopcocks for draining spillage ...From: Birmingham, United Kingdom Images: 0
Symmetrical in form, this central-spined, eight horizontally pronged-shaped pattern is created on lined brown paper and was most likely used by Stanio Fancoff in creating the vamp area ...Images: 2
Alternative Name(s): Platform Shoes Pair of cork-heeled high platform shoes with tan uppers, featuring woven leather design. Made in the 1970s by Paragon, range Parisienne, Lacey desig ...From: Melbourne, Australia Images: 1
Portable self-contained horizontal single-cylinder 6-inch (152 mm) bore x 12-inch (305 mm) stroke, double-drum, portable steam winch known colloquially as a "donkey engine" or "pier don ...From: South Melbourne, Australia Images: 1
Letter from the Reserve Bank of Australia to Archibald Gordon Maclaurin, dated 21 March 1966. The letter is in recognition of Archie's impressive service of 32 years upon his retirement ...From: Fitzroy, Australia Images: 1
Standard Troy pound, Parliamentary Copy of the British Standard Pound, no. 29, 1844. Used as a primary standard for the Colony of Victoria. The standard pound was placed in the custody ...From: Melbourne, Australia Images: 2