Search the collections
Working Life & Trades Collection
Image: Planes - Jack, Trying, Grooving, Tongueing and Moulding, Yarra Punt Builder
Source: Museum Victoria
This collection aims to document and preserve the history of Victorian workers, and to record their impact on and contribution to Australian society.
Focussing on the post-European settlement period to the present, it aims to reflect the experiences and actions of individuals and groups of workers in different historical, personal, social, economic and cultural settings. It also aims to document the personal and unique renderings of workers' experiences and actions.
Much of the collection documents 'case studies' of working life in Victoria and Australia. These offer insight into a particular type of workplace and work, with some emphasis on workers' voices, while the wider collection represents a variety of working-life skills, experiences and cultures.
The strengths of the collection lie in its coverage of early to mid-20th century factory work, small businesses and trades and the trade union movement. It focuses on work practices in more formal work environments such as factories, commercial workshops and the traditional apprentice-based trades, but is complemented by other collections of less formal workplace objects, such as the home work and handicrafts area in the Domestic and Community Life Collection.
Trades relating to metalworking and precision engineering, especially those requiring the extensive use of machine tools and power tools, are covered under the Engineering Collection rather than in Trades.
- Barfoot Bootmaking Collection: 211 items from a former surgical bootmaker's business.
- Bruhn Collection: 985 items from a father and son woodturning shop operated in Carlton and later South Melbourne, 1920s-1980s.
- Grenoble Gloves Collection: 454 items from a Melbourne glove factory started in 1944.
- McInnes Delicatessen and Butcher's Shop: 106 items from the East Malvern shop, which operated from 1933 to the 1970s.
- Newmarket Saleyards Collection: 27 items from former livestock saleyards.
- Pigment Manufacturers of Australia (PMA): 135 items from a major paint manufacturing plant at Laverton, 1960s-1990s.
- Sam Brown Bootmaker's Collection: 297 items from a former bootmaker's shop in Albert Park, c. 1930s-1980s.
- Simpson's Gloves Collection: 1491 items from the former Simpson's Glove Factory which operated in Victoria Street, Richmond, from 1924 until 1988.
- Victorian Institute for the Blind Collection: 107 items from former RVIB workshops.
- Artworks, including Ambrose Dyson, David Armfield and Aileen Brown, 1950s-1980s.
- 'Stick Together' radio program oral history collection, 1970s-1980s.
- Contemporary occupational health and safety material, 1990s.
- Stonemason's tools and early bootmaking machinery.
See The Working Life Collection, and an essay on this collection from A Museum for the People: A history of Museum Victoria and its predecessor institutions 1854-2000.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 8281 - 8290) 11687 items
No Image Available
Third pint measure, part of set of 7 brass standard measures stamped 'S50', comprising 1 gallon, 1/2 gallon, 1 quart, 1 pint, 1/3 pint, 1/4 gill. Plus 2 cover slips for 1 gill and 1/4 g ...From: South Yarra, Australia Images: 0
This cream coloured asymmetrical rectangular shaped pattern cardboard with its three equally proportioned horizontal strips was most likely used by Stanio Fancoff as part of his shoe pa ...Images: 2
Black and white 5" x 4" negative showing a group of male and female textile workers cutting out and packing parts of garments ready for construction in a textiles factory in the 1950s. ...From: Alphington, Australia Images: 1
Letter of reference for AG Maclaurin by FE Ayres dated 11 November 1933. the letter attests to Archie's integrity, sobriety, keenness, etc. Archibald Gordon Maclaurin was born in 1904 ...From: Melbourne, Australia Images: 1
Red calf leather ladies' handbag, made by Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond, 1950s-1960s. Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd was formed in 1924 and produced leather gloves and coats, handbags, ...