Search the collections
Working Life & Trades Collection
Image: Planes - Jack, Trying, Grooving, Tongueing and Moulding, Yarra Punt Builder
Source: Museum Victoria
This collection aims to document and preserve the history of Victorian workers, and to record their impact on and contribution to Australian society.
Focussing on the post-European settlement period to the present, it aims to reflect the experiences and actions of individuals and groups of workers in different historical, personal, social, economic and cultural settings. It also aims to document the personal and unique renderings of workers' experiences and actions.
Much of the collection documents 'case studies' of working life in Victoria and Australia. These offer insight into a particular type of workplace and work, with some emphasis on workers' voices, while the wider collection represents a variety of working-life skills, experiences and cultures.
The strengths of the collection lie in its coverage of early to mid-20th century factory work, small businesses and trades and the trade union movement. It focuses on work practices in more formal work environments such as factories, commercial workshops and the traditional apprentice-based trades, but is complemented by other collections of less formal workplace objects, such as the home work and handicrafts area in the Domestic and Community Life Collection.
Trades relating to metalworking and precision engineering, especially those requiring the extensive use of machine tools and power tools, are covered under the Engineering Collection rather than in Trades.
- Barfoot Bootmaking Collection: 211 items from a former surgical bootmaker's business.
- Bruhn Collection: 985 items from a father and son woodturning shop operated in Carlton and later South Melbourne, 1920s-1980s.
- Grenoble Gloves Collection: 454 items from a Melbourne glove factory started in 1944.
- McInnes Delicatessen and Butcher's Shop: 106 items from the East Malvern shop, which operated from 1933 to the 1970s.
- Newmarket Saleyards Collection: 27 items from former livestock saleyards.
- Pigment Manufacturers of Australia (PMA): 135 items from a major paint manufacturing plant at Laverton, 1960s-1990s.
- Sam Brown Bootmaker's Collection: 297 items from a former bootmaker's shop in Albert Park, c. 1930s-1980s.
- Simpson's Gloves Collection: 1491 items from the former Simpson's Glove Factory which operated in Victoria Street, Richmond, from 1924 until 1988.
- Victorian Institute for the Blind Collection: 107 items from former RVIB workshops.
- Artworks, including Ambrose Dyson, David Armfield and Aileen Brown, 1950s-1980s.
- 'Stick Together' radio program oral history collection, 1970s-1980s.
- Contemporary occupational health and safety material, 1990s.
- Stonemason's tools and early bootmaking machinery.
See The Working Life Collection, and an essay on this collection from A Museum for the People: A history of Museum Victoria and its predecessor institutions 1854-2000.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 8311 - 8320) 10472 items
Copper one Penny token, minted by Heaton & Sons of Birmingham. Issued by R. Parker, a Geelong Ironmonger, circa 1857. Richard Parker arrived in Victoria in 1839 and established a genera ...From: Geelong, Australia Images: 2
Large hessian bag made by the Prue Acton company, possibly given away with a purchase.Images: 1
This beard was made in the 1960s by the Greek puppeteer and popular artist Abraam (Antonakos) in his Athens workshop, and used in performances in Greece during the 1960s. This and most ...From: Athens, Greece Images: 1
No Image Available
Commemorative sterling silver trowel presented to H.W.H. Irvine upon laying the foundation stone of the new wine cellars, Great Western, 22nd July 1892. Presented by the architects: F ...From: Great Western, Australia Images: 0
This hand-cut flat soled short ankle boot pattern has been created from brown paper and was most likely used by Stanio Fancoff sometime around the 1960s. Characteristically similar to a ...Images: 2
Located in North Engine Room.Images: 4
A hand-operated knife sharpener and grinding wheel for mowers and binders. The v-shaped grinding wheel enables knife sections to be sharpened whilst still attached to the knife bar, whi ...Images: 1
Photograph is located in an album: Volume No. 4: 'Headers & Binders: 1929-1945', page 139. This is one of 25 albums that provide detailed visual documentation of the activities of the M ...From: Sunshine, Australia Images: 1
A construction gang on the Orbost to Bairnsdale line. A man, possibly the foreman, is standing in the foreground. Two men pose with picks lifted while the others have shovels and picks.Images: 1