Search the collections
Working Life & Trades Collection
Image: Planes - Jack, Trying, Grooving, Tongueing and Moulding, Yarra Punt Builder
Source: Museum Victoria
This collection aims to document and preserve the history of Victorian workers, and to record their impact on and contribution to Australian society.
Focussing on the post-European settlement period to the present, it aims to reflect the experiences and actions of individuals and groups of workers in different historical, personal, social, economic and cultural settings. It also aims to document the personal and unique renderings of workers' experiences and actions.
Much of the collection documents 'case studies' of working life in Victoria and Australia. These offer insight into a particular type of workplace and work, with some emphasis on workers' voices, while the wider collection represents a variety of working-life skills, experiences and cultures.
The strengths of the collection lie in its coverage of early to mid-20th century factory work, small businesses and trades and the trade union movement. It focuses on work practices in more formal work environments such as factories, commercial workshops and the traditional apprentice-based trades, but is complemented by other collections of less formal workplace objects, such as the home work and handicrafts area in the Domestic and Community Life Collection.
Trades relating to metalworking and precision engineering, especially those requiring the extensive use of machine tools and power tools, are covered under the Engineering Collection rather than in Trades.
- Barfoot Bootmaking Collection: 211 items from a former surgical bootmaker's business.
- Bruhn Collection: 985 items from a father and son woodturning shop operated in Carlton and later South Melbourne, 1920s-1980s.
- Grenoble Gloves Collection: 454 items from a Melbourne glove factory started in 1944.
- McInnes Delicatessen and Butcher's Shop: 106 items from the East Malvern shop, which operated from 1933 to the 1970s.
- Newmarket Saleyards Collection: 27 items from former livestock saleyards.
- Pigment Manufacturers of Australia (PMA): 135 items from a major paint manufacturing plant at Laverton, 1960s-1990s.
- Sam Brown Bootmaker's Collection: 297 items from a former bootmaker's shop in Albert Park, c. 1930s-1980s.
- Simpson's Gloves Collection: 1491 items from the former Simpson's Glove Factory which operated in Victoria Street, Richmond, from 1924 until 1988.
- Victorian Institute for the Blind Collection: 107 items from former RVIB workshops.
- Artworks, including Ambrose Dyson, David Armfield and Aileen Brown, 1950s-1980s.
- 'Stick Together' radio program oral history collection, 1970s-1980s.
- Contemporary occupational health and safety material, 1990s.
- Stonemason's tools and early bootmaking machinery.
See The Working Life Collection, and an essay on this collection from A Museum for the People: A history of Museum Victoria and its predecessor institutions 1854-2000.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 8721 - 8730) 11687 items
Black and white 5" x 4" negative showing a group of male manufacturing workers at a textile factory in the 1950s. They are using overhead travelling cranes to lift racks containing spoo ...From: Alphington, Australia Images: 1
Pair of needle-toe, high stiletto heel, tan leather shoes, Hawaii design. Made by Paragon in the 1960s. Uppers imported flat from Spain. They were worn by the donor. Paragon Shoes Pty ...From: Melbourne, Australia Images: 1
Standard brass yard, serial no. 3252, made by W. & T. Avery Ltd, 1915. Used as a standard yard at Melbourne Observatory. 1 yard is approximately 91cm.From: Birmingham, United Kingdom Images: 10
No Image Available
Steel Halfpenny die, manufactured for the Kangaroo Office of Melbourne, by W. J. Taylor of London, circa 1853. The die is unfinished die with no legend in the exergue. It is only known ...From: Melbourne, Australia Images: 0
Photograph of John Robertson Duigan seated at the controls of his biplane, taken during a public demonstration of the aircraft attended by 1,000 people at the Bendigo Racecourse, 3rd Ma ...From: Bendigo, Australia Images: 1
Large white paper wine bottle label, used at H.W.H Irvine's winery at Great Western, 1905-1918. The label depicts prize medals and the Irvine crest. Wine label is printed in black and ...From: Great Western, Australia Images: 1
Navy blue paper wine bottle label, used at H.W.H Irvine's winery at Great Western, 1888-1918. Wine label is printed in silver ink and reads: "Irvine's Sparkling Hock. Hans W.H. Irvine, ...From: Great Western, Australia Images: 1
Woodturning sample, table leg, made by Adolph Bruhn & Son, South Melbourne, circa 1970-1990. The woodturning business of Adolph Bruhn & Son operated in South Melbourne, 1970-1990, and ...From: South Melbourne, Australia Images: 2
Navy blue suede ladies' handbag, made by Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd, Richmond, 1951. Simpson's Gloves Pty Ltd was formed in 1924 and produced leather gloves and coats, handbags, helmets ...From: Richmond, Australia Images: 1