Search the collections
Working Life & Trades Collection
Image: Planes - Jack, Trying, Grooving, Tongueing and Moulding, Yarra Punt Builder
Source: Museum Victoria
This collection aims to document and preserve the history of Victorian workers, and to record their impact on and contribution to Australian society.
Focussing on the post-European settlement period to the present, it aims to reflect the experiences and actions of individuals and groups of workers in different historical, personal, social, economic and cultural settings. It also aims to document the personal and unique renderings of workers' experiences and actions.
Much of the collection documents 'case studies' of working life in Victoria and Australia. These offer insight into a particular type of workplace and work, with some emphasis on workers' voices, while the wider collection represents a variety of working-life skills, experiences and cultures.
The strengths of the collection lie in its coverage of early to mid-20th century factory work, small businesses and trades and the trade union movement. It focuses on work practices in more formal work environments such as factories, commercial workshops and the traditional apprentice-based trades, but is complemented by other collections of less formal workplace objects, such as the home work and handicrafts area in the Domestic and Community Life Collection.
Trades relating to metalworking and precision engineering, especially those requiring the extensive use of machine tools and power tools, are covered under the Engineering Collection rather than in Trades.
- Barfoot Bootmaking Collection: 211 items from a former surgical bootmaker's business.
- Bruhn Collection: 985 items from a father and son woodturning shop operated in Carlton and later South Melbourne, 1920s-1980s.
- Grenoble Gloves Collection: 454 items from a Melbourne glove factory started in 1944.
- McInnes Delicatessen and Butcher's Shop: 106 items from the East Malvern shop, which operated from 1933 to the 1970s.
- Newmarket Saleyards Collection: 27 items from former livestock saleyards.
- Pigment Manufacturers of Australia (PMA): 135 items from a major paint manufacturing plant at Laverton, 1960s-1990s.
- Sam Brown Bootmaker's Collection: 297 items from a former bootmaker's shop in Albert Park, c. 1930s-1980s.
- Simpson's Gloves Collection: 1491 items from the former Simpson's Glove Factory which operated in Victoria Street, Richmond, from 1924 until 1988.
- Victorian Institute for the Blind Collection: 107 items from former RVIB workshops.
- Artworks, including Ambrose Dyson, David Armfield and Aileen Brown, 1950s-1980s.
- 'Stick Together' radio program oral history collection, 1970s-1980s.
- Contemporary occupational health and safety material, 1990s.
- Stonemason's tools and early bootmaking machinery.
See The Working Life Collection, and an essay on this collection from A Museum for the People: A history of Museum Victoria and its predecessor institutions 1854-2000.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 2681 - 2690) 4222 items
Australian Motorist Feb., 1911From: Mia Mia, Australia Images: 2
Photograph is located in an album: Volume No.1: 'Views of Factories and Branches', page 24. This is one of 25 albums that provide detailed visual documentation of the activities of the ...From: Sunshine, Australia Images: 1
Black and white silver gelatin photograph of the Kodak Australasia factory site in Abbotsford, Victoria, circa 1950. This photograph features the Yarra River and its western bank in th ...
Black and white 5" x 4" negative showing a very large group of female textile workers sewing garments on industrial sewing machines in a large workshop at a textiles factory in the 1950 ...From: Alphington, Australia Images: 1
Black and white, silver gelatin photograph of the members of the Kodak Staff Service Bulletin, at the Kodak Australasia factory in Abbotsford, Victoria, 1945. Standing from left to rig ...
Black and white, sepia toned silver gelatin photograph of a significant occasion, the introduction of a new movie projector at Albert Hall (since demolished, originally located between ...From: Brisbane, Australia Images: 2
Black and white, silver gelatin photograph of Edgar Rouse [left] and unidentified man, circa 1960. The two men are holding a wedding photograph. Edgar Rouse was the only son of John (J ...
Black and white photograph of the exterior of a general store in Murrayville, in far western Victoria, circa 1911. The business advertises food and clothing on the side of the building. ...From: Murrayville, Australia Images: 1