Search the collections
Royal Exhibition Building Collection
Image: Watercolour - The Exhibition Building, Melbourne, Framed, 1880
Source: Museum Victoria
The Royal Exhibition Building is a product of the optimism, enthusiasm and energy of the people of Melbourne in the late 19th century. In 1879, when the foundation stone was laid, Melbourne was an extremely prosperous city, basking in the wealth from the richest gold rush in the world. The future seemed unlimited, and Victorians wanted to publicise their achievements in an international exhibition.
The building was designed by Joseph Reed and erected in less than 18 months. The first exhibition opened on 1 October 1880. The excited crowd included many who had immigrated during the 1850's gold rush. They had seen Melbourne change from a scatter of wooden houses to a marvellous modern city. The new Exhibition Building, the largest building in Australia, was a symbol of their confidence in the future. The 1880-81 International Exhibition attracted entries from 33 countries and over a million visitors.
The boom times continued, and in 1888 at the Centennial International Exhibition, annexes full of displays covered the gardens north to Carlton Street, and people made 2 million visits.
The Opening of the First Federal Parliament of the Commonwealth of Australia on 9 May 1901 saw 12,000 people attend the ceremony in the Great Hall. The restored interior replicates the decorative scheme designed for that event.
In 1919, the building was used as a temporary hospital for Spanish Flu sufferers; from 1921-1925 the first Australian War Museum was housed there (the precursor to the Australian War Memorial); between 1941 and 1945 the building was requisitioned by the RAAF No 1 Technical Training School; from 1949-1962 a migrant reception centre was housed in the grounds north of the great hall; and in 1956 weight liftingting, basketball and wrestling competitions were held as part of the Melbourne Olympics. Between these events the building has continued to be used for trade fairs, motor shows, balls, meetings, flower shows, examinations and rock concerts.
To mark its centenary in 1980, Princess Alexandra, cousin to Queen Elizabeth II, bestowed Royal title on the Exhibition Building. Its significance as the only surviving 19th century 'Palace of Industry' located in its original landscape setting, still used for events, saw the Royal Exhibition Building listed on the World Heritage Register in July 2004.
The Royal Exhibition Collection of well over 5,000 objects reflects all aspects of the building's history: objects displayed at the two great International Exhibitions; souvenirs; certificates and medals awarded to exhibitors and commissioners; invitations to concerts, balls and the opening of parliament: catalogues to the International Exhibition and museum displays. The collection also contains photographs of the building from the 1880s to the present day, and other pictorial reproductions including watercolours, postcards and lithographic prints.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 1 - 10) 1882 items
This hard-cover book, "Our Invited Guests An Official Directory of the guests invited to Melbourne May 9th 1901 For the Opening of The First Parliament of the Commonwealth of Australia" ...From: Melbourne, Australia Images: 2
Alternative Name(s): Booklet, Programme, Catalogue, Guide Book Soft-covered book with a sepia toned illustration of a soldier in battledress. 92 pages of printed descriptions of exhibi ...Images: 4
Silk souvenir printed with welcome to T.R.H. The Duke and Duchess of Cornwall and York, who undertook a tour of Australia in 1901 that coincided with the opening of the first Commonweal ...Images: 2
Federation souvenir booklet of the Inauguration of the Australian Government, second edition. Printed by John Sands, Sydney, New South Wales.Images: 3
Coloured printed invitation to an evening reception held at the Exhibition Building, Melbourne, on the evening of 9 May 1901 at which the Duke and Duchess of York & Cornwall were in att ...Images: 1
View from the eastern balcony over the French & German Courts in the Great Hall at the 1880 Melbourne International Exhibition held at the Exhibition Buildings, Carlton Gardens, between ...Images: 1
View from the northern balcony in the western nave looking west towards the Grand Organ and the orchestra and choir arranged on the temporary dais erected in front of it during the offi ...Images: 1
Contractual agreement for scaffolding of the exhibition building, between David Mitchell (builder) and John Mather (interior decorator), dated 26 January 1880. This document was donat ...Images: 2
Ticket, addressed to T F De Courcy Browne Esq, MP, for the opening ceremony of the Melbourne Centennial International Exhibition which was held on 1 August 1888. A seating plan is print ...Images: 2
Program of events held at the Aquarium at the Exhibition Buildings, Carlton Gardens. Dating from circa 1913, the program provides a schedule of daily performances, including musical int ...Images: 2