Search the collections
Royal Exhibition Building Collection
Image: Watercolour - The Exhibition Building, Melbourne, Framed, 1880
Source: Museum Victoria
The Royal Exhibition Building is a product of the optimism, enthusiasm and energy of the people of Melbourne in the late 19th century. In 1879, when the foundation stone was laid, Melbourne was an extremely prosperous city, basking in the wealth from the richest gold rush in the world. The future seemed unlimited, and Victorians wanted to publicise their achievements in an international exhibition.
The building was designed by Joseph Reed and erected in less than 18 months. The first exhibition opened on 1 October 1880. The excited crowd included many who had immigrated during the 1850's gold rush. They had seen Melbourne change from a scatter of wooden houses to a marvellous modern city. The new Exhibition Building, the largest building in Australia, was a symbol of their confidence in the future. The 1880-81 International Exhibition attracted entries from 33 countries and over a million visitors.
The boom times continued, and in 1888 at the Centennial International Exhibition, annexes full of displays covered the gardens north to Carlton Street, and people made 2 million visits.
The Opening of the First Federal Parliament of the Commonwealth of Australia on 9 May 1901 saw 12,000 people attend the ceremony in the Great Hall. The restored interior replicates the decorative scheme designed for that event.
In 1919, the building was used as a temporary hospital for Spanish Flu sufferers; from 1921-1925 the first Australian War Museum was housed there (the precursor to the Australian War Memorial); between 1941 and 1945 the building was requisitioned by the RAAF No 1 Technical Training School; from 1949-1962 a migrant reception centre was housed in the grounds north of the great hall; and in 1956 weight liftingting, basketball and wrestling competitions were held as part of the Melbourne Olympics. Between these events the building has continued to be used for trade fairs, motor shows, balls, meetings, flower shows, examinations and rock concerts.
To mark its centenary in 1980, Princess Alexandra, cousin to Queen Elizabeth II, bestowed Royal title on the Exhibition Building. Its significance as the only surviving 19th century 'Palace of Industry' located in its original landscape setting, still used for events, saw the Royal Exhibition Building listed on the World Heritage Register in July 2004.
The Royal Exhibition Collection of well over 5,000 objects reflects all aspects of the building's history: objects displayed at the two great International Exhibitions; souvenirs; certificates and medals awarded to exhibitors and commissioners; invitations to concerts, balls and the opening of parliament: catalogues to the International Exhibition and museum displays. The collection also contains photographs of the building from the 1880s to the present day, and other pictorial reproductions including watercolours, postcards and lithographic prints.
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 81 - 90) 1916 items
Hard Rock Cafe Melbourne, Guitar Head series lapel pin featuring an image of the Royal Exhibition Building. Manufactured in a limited edition of 150, the pin was available for purchase ...Images: 2
Promotional postcard for the James Bond film 'The Living Daylights', collected at the Third Annual Melbourne Classic Car Show and Auction in December 1987. The Aston Martin "Oscar In ...Images: 2
Official catalogue for 'The Third Annual Classic Melbourne Car Show and Auction', which was held in the Royal Exhibition Building in December 1987. The catalogue features visitor inform ...Images: 19
Two pages (pp. 195-196) from The Australian Sketcher, published Saturday 14 August 1880 by Wilson & McKinnon, Melbourne. On the second page are two engravings illustrating the receipt ...Images: 1
Print from a newspaper, showing a south-eastern view of the almost completed (Royal)l Exhibition Building. The dome is still under construction and scaffolding surrounds the entrances. ...Images: 1
Porcelain dish, manufactured by Royal Worcester in England, released to celebrate Tupperware's 40th Anniversary in Australia which occurred in April 2001. An image of the Royal Exhibiti ...Images: 5
Menu printed in English and French for a dinner held by the Australian National Committee of the World Energy Council (WEC) at the Exhibition Building, Thursday 25 October, 1962. The W ...Images: 5
Souvenir program printed for Jack Davey's Charity Performance, held in the Exhibition Building on 2 February 1951. The event, organised by William Darwin FRGS, was to raise money for Th ...Images: 3
Minisheet first day cover for 60 cent and 2 dollars 60 cents stamps, issued to commemorate the Centenary of the First Commonwealth Banknote. Issued by Australia Post in Melbourne, 11 Ma ...Images: 2
Calico shopping bag featuring design for Australian Birds stamp series. Issued by Australia Post in Melbourne, 11 May 2013, during the World Stamp Fair held at the Royal Exhibition Buil ...Images: 1