Search the collections
Ed Cole Trade Literature Collection
Image: Advertisement - Cole's Motors, Colac, circa 1950s
Source: Museum Victoria
This collection comprises approximately 126 items of trade literature and photographs donated by and copied from Ed Cole, relating to products manufactured and sold by the business Cole's Motors Pty Ltd, of Colac.
Key companies represented in the collection include: David Brown Tractors Ltd, Huddersfield, England; John Deere Tractors, North Carolina, U.S.A.; Howard Auto-Cultivators Ltd, Northmead, N.S.W.; Connor Shea implements, Sunshine, Victoria; Glenelg Manufacturing Co. implements, Casterton, Victoria; B.& G. Myers Pty Ltd, Ballarat, Victoria; Scott-Bonnar Ltd, Adelaide, S.A., and about 20 other implement manufacturers.
Originally founded by Ed Cole's father Charles Henry Cole as a small agricultural implement making business at Warrion, around 1911, the firm re-located to the larger town of Alvie during the First World War and later opened at branch at Colac in 1928. Later trading under the name of Cole's Motors, Colac, the firm developed a strong business trading in motor vehicles and tractors, but also continued repairing agricultural equipment for local farmers and manufacuturing its own specialist lines of implements designed specifically for the needs of vegetable growers working small acreages on the rich volcanic plains of south-western Victoria.