Search the collections
Victorian Volunteer Forces, 1854-1884
Image: Negative - Film
Source: Museum Victoria
In 1842 a series of attacks by bushrangers on homesteads in the Plenty River area led to the first calls for a volunteer force.
It was suggested that the force could be called the 'Port Phillip Volunteers'. Twelve military districts were envisaged, each to be commanded by a former army captain. The volunteers would dressed in a green uniform and heavily armed with a rifle, two pistols and a sword. However, it was illegal to raise an armed force anywhere in the British Empire, except with the express approval of the Crown, and a special parliamentary act was required. Twelve years later, in 1854, Governor Sir Charles Hotham approved an Act to establish a Volunteer Corps not exceeding 2000 men, with officers appointed by the Governor. The force was independent from the regular British units, which maintained a presence until 1870.
The first unit formed was the Melbourne Volunteer Rifle Regiment, following shortly afterwards by the Richmond Rifles, the Emerald Hill Rifles, the East Collingwood Rifles and the Fitzroy Rifles. Cavalry, Artillery, Engineer, Torpedo and Signal units quickly followed, named after the localities in which they were raised. All units were voluntary, with service part-time and unpaid. By 1860, the Act had been amended to allow a Volunteer force of 10,000.
The Victorian Volunteer Forces became the primary defence force of the Colony of Victoria after the withdrawal of the Imperial troops in 1870. A Permanent Artillery Corps (or the Victorian Artillery) was also formed in that year.
The volunteer forces were disbanded in 1884, replaced by the Victorian Militia Force. The Militia were paid, and enrolled for a fixed term.
National Archives of Australia web site http://www.naa.gov.au/publications/fact_sheets/fs134.html; Defending Victoria web site http://users.netconnect.com.au/~ianmac/volunt.html, accessed 24/9/2003.
National Archives of Australia Fact Sheet 134: 'Colonial defence personnel records held in Melbourne'
Items per page: 10 50 (showing 1 - 10) 27 items
Mine explosion in Port Phillip Bay, during training exercises of the Torpedo Corps, circa 1880s. Original photograph inscribed on back: 'Sergt. Kemp, with James Morris's compliments'. ...Images: 2
Portrait of Sergeant Frederick Kemp, Torpedo Corps, Victoria, circa 1885. Kemp, assistant astronomer at Melbourne Observatory from 1873 to 1914, was a Sergeant in the Victorian Torpedo ...Images: 1
Image showing the Victorian Torpedo Corps at training exercise, probably at Williamstown, circa 1880s. The Torpedo Corps was established in 1873 to protect Melbourne and Port Philip Ba ...Images: 1
Framed colour print from an engraving depicting military scene of the "Big Gun Competition at Queenscliff". The men depicted are wearing colonial military uniforms.Images: 1
Complete other ranks Victorian Scottish Regiment uniform including rifle. The rifle (with bayonet) is a Martini Enfield rifle .303 calibre, with regimental marking vsr 86. Martini Enfie ...Images: 1
10 years service badge of the Victorian volunteer forces. The Victorian volunteer forces issued long service badges for 5, 10, 15 and 20 years service.Images: 2
Helmet, white, 1887 colonial pattern, complete with ball ornament badge and chin chain. Made in England for A. Bowley, Melbourne. Part of complete 1893 Victorian Permanent Artillery Off ...Images: 2
Gold prize medal of the Victorian Rifle Association, awarded to Sergeant Limerock, 1873. The Rifle Association was closely linked to the Victorian Volunteer Defence Force, whose motto ...From: Melbourne, Australia Images: 2
British Service percussion rifle, General Hay's pattern, cal. .577 in., steel round barrel, 915 mm long. Made by Isaac Hollis & Sons, Birmingham, circa 1860. Buttplate tang stamped 'F/ ...From: Birmingham, United Kingdom Images: 3