Museum Victoria Home Colonial Square home

Statuary

The metal statue mounted over the portico showed an angelic figure protecting a youth and a young mother with an infant. Commissioned by the Equitable Life Assurance Society, the statue was sculpted by an Austrian artist, Victor Tilgner (1844-1896), and cast at the Imperial Art Foundry in Vienna.

When the original building was demolished in 1960, the statuary was presented by Colonial

Mutual to the University of Melbourne. For many years it was situated on the University's School of Architecture property at Mt. Martha, on the Mornington Peninsula, before being moved to the Carlton campus in 1981. It was installed between the South Lawn and the Baillieu Library and is now a permanent feature of the landscape.


Statuary
magnifyStatuary in grounds of University of Melbourne (2001)
© Museum Victoria Australia