A History of Museum Victoria

Home

Pictorial Timeline

Directors

Essays

Book

Pictorial Timeline

1854

The National Museum of Victoria opens in the Government Assay Office, La Trobe Street, Melbourne. It displays geological and natural science collections. William Blandowski is the first scientist appointed to the staff.

Crowns Land building 1854
The Museum's first building as it appeared in 1858 when it had become the Crown Land Building. The former Government Assay Office comprised the central portion with the entrance. The two wings were added after the Assay Office closed in 1856 and the Museum collections were moved to the University of Melbourne.
Source: The Illustrated Melbourne News, 1858.

Timeline

1854 1856
1863 1868
1870 1887
1899 1901
1915 1932
1939 1940
1965 1970
1983 1985
1992 1994
1996 1998
2000 2001
 

Previous | Next 

© Museum Victoria Australia