A History of Museum Victoria

Home

Pictorial Timeline

Directors

Essays

Book

Directors and Name Changes 1854-2000

1854
Museum of Natural and Economic Geology founded. William Blandowski appointed Government Zoologist.
1870
Industrial and Technological Museum opened. James Cosmo Newbery appointed Scientific Superintendent.
1856
Professor Frederick McCoy moved the Museum collection to the University of Melbourne.
1895
R. Henry Walcott appointed Curator, Industrial and Technological Museum.
1858
Professor McCoy appointed Director, National Museum of Victoria.
1899
Industrial and Technological Museum closed.
1915
Industrial and Technological Museum reopened. R. Henry Walcott remained Curator.
1899
National Museum of Victoria moved to Swanston Street site. Professor Sir Baldwin Spencer appointed Director.
1928
James A. Kershaw appointed Director, National Museum.
1935
Leonard R. Ninnis appointed Curator, Industrial and Technological Museum.
1931
Daniel. J. Mahony appointed Director, National Museum.
1936
Industrial and Technological Museum renamed Museum of Applied Science.
1945
Charles M. Focken appointed Director, Museum of Applied Science.
1944
Richard T. M. Pescott appointed Director, National Museum.
1951
Museum of Applied Science renamed Institute of Applied Science.
Edgar H. Penrose appointed Curator, Industrial and Technological Museum.
1957
Charles W. Breznor appointed Director, National Museum.
1961
Museum of Applied Science renamed Institute of Applied Science..
1962
R. Hindle Fowler appointed Director, Institute of Applied Science..
1962
John Mc Nally appointed Director, National Museum..
1971
Institute of Applied Science renamed Science Museum Victoria.
1975
F. John Kendal appointed Director, Science Museum..
1979
Dr Barry Wilson appointed Director, National Museum..
1983
National Museum of Victoria and Science Museum of Victoria amalgamated to form the Museum of Victoria.
1984
Robert Edwards appointed Director, Museum of Victoria.
1990
Graham Morris appointed Director, Museum of Victoria.
1992
Applied science and technology collections moved to Spotswood and named Scienceworks.
1997
Museum on Swanston Walk closed.
1998
Museum of Victoria renamed Museum Victoria. Dr George McDonald appointed Director, Museum Victoria. Immigration Museum and Hellenic Antiquities opened in the Old Customs House Building, Flinders Street.
2000
Melbourne Museum opened at Carlton Gardens.
2002
Dr J. Patrick Greene appointed Chief Executive Officer of Museum Victoria.

 

Privacy   Rights   Disclaimer   Contact Us   E-News
© Museum Victoria Australia