Level: Year 9
Task 1: Map the Silk Road
Download a blank map of Afghanistan using Google maps.
Mark the following places and features on your copy or print-out, using an atlas as a guide.
- The two rivers which meet at Begram – the Ghurband and the Panjhir
- Kabul, 80 kilometres north
- The Khyber Pass, 250 kilometres north-west
- The Panjhir River
- The Jalalabad Plains
- Bactria to the north
- The Hindu Kush
- The paths to China
Can you see how central Begram was among the ancient cultures two thousand years ago, in the first century AD?
Task 2: Map sea trade in the Afghanistan region
Begram was also connected to sea trade in the Indian Ocean and the Red Sea.
Mark the following places on your map.
- The Indian Ocean
- The Red Sea
- The sea ports of Barbarikon and Barygaza
- The paths from Begram to the Mediterranean Sea
Check your map against maps found online using Google maps.