Colonial Square, with Melbourne Museum in background
Source: Museum Victoria
Photographer: John Broomfield
25 ornate remnants of a once magnificent building.
Appropriately, the stonework remains of the Colonial Mutual Building lie close to the Royal Exhibition Building; both were built by David Mitchell.
Built in 1896, the building stood on the corner of Collins and Elizabeth Streets. The stones, made from Harcourt and Cape Woolamai granite, are now a reminder of a glorious edifice.