Front view of 'Colchester', Two Story House with Elaborate Verandah, Northcote, 1921
Registration Number: MM 110321
Double storey hospital with cast iron verandah, Northcote, 1921.
This hospital was named 'Colchester', after the birthplace of the owner's father in Essex, Britain. The home was purchased by Emma Maria Gilchrist (nee Jones, and later Mills) to run as a hospital after her husband died of consumption. It was renamed 'Colchester Private Hospital', as can be seen by the words on the second storey wall. There are nurses on the balconies.
unknown woman; unknown child; unknown nurse; Gilchrist, Emma Maria; Gardiner, Walter Robert (Tim)
Contributed by Mrs Lesley Gorrell
Reproduction Rights: Museum Victoria