View of BH Altson Tobacconist, Corner of Collins & Elizabeth Streets, Melbourne, 1890s
Registration Number: MM 110723
View from above of B H Altson Tobacconist, corner store on corner of Collins and Elizabeth Streets.
This photograph shows a view of B H Altson Tobacconist, on the corner of Collins and Elizabeth Streets, Melbourne, circa 1890s. This was the original building that housed B H Alton's tobacco business, and according to the family, 'was the first brick building in Melbourne. It was replaced by a new building in 1903'. There is a second photograph of B H Altson's store, in the newer building, MM110726. There was a BH Altsons Tobacconists on this site for about 86 years. The owner Barnett Hyman, 'BH' passed the business on to his son Charles Altson.
Contributed by Mrs Christine Bergin
Reproduction Rights: Museum Victoria