'The Melbourne Advertiser', Melbourne's first newspaper, was printed on this press in 1838.
It was brought to Melbourne from Launceston by John Pascoe Fawkner. Believed to be made in England in the 18th century, it is known as an English Common Press.
After Fawkner acquired a new press in 1840, this press was used by James Harrison to produce the Geelong Advertiser.
In 1866 a press identified as the one initially used by Fawkner was displayed at the Intercolonial Exhibition in Melbourne. It was one of the founding objects of the Industrial and Technological Museum, which opened in 1870.
Many parts of the press have been missing since the 19th century and it is now too fragile to be used.