Between 1921 and 1932, six suburban electric passenger carriages were converted into specialised parcel vans to provide separate fast parcels service throughout the metropolitan network. The fast parcels vans were repainted from 1960 in the standard VR blue with a distinctive wide yellow side band. They were finally withdrawn in the 1980s when the service was replaced by road trucks.
Following the successful introduction of suburban electric passenger services, the Newport Workshop built two small batches of electric locomotives for shunting work and suburban goods services, later known as E-class locos. The first two, built in 1923, had a steeple cab and primitive, somewhat exposed, driver controls leading to the nickname 'Electric Chairs' amongst drivers. Ten additional units with larger box cabins were introduced during 1928-9. From 1965, the remaining ten E-class electric locomotives still in service were painted with a blue and yellow livery to match the standard appearance of all the VR's diesel locomotives.