The Royal Exhibition Building is one of the world's oldest remaining exhibition pavilions. On 1 July 2004, it became the first building in Australia to achieve a World Heritage listing.
Located in Carlton Gardens, the pavilion was originally completed in 1880 for the first of two international fairs hosted by Melbourne. On May 1st, 1901, the initial Commonwealth Parliament was held here, an event commemorated in 2001, the centenary of Australian Federation.
Today, with its meticulously restored interior, expansive galleries and soaring dome, the Great Hall offers an impressive setting for trade shows, fairs and cultural and community events.