Extracting DNA in Your Kitchen
It is easy to extract DNA from onion cells using equipment and ingredients found in your own kitchen. All you need is:
- an onion—even a small one contains many hundreds of cells,
- a blender to break open the cell walls,
- detergent to break down the nuclear membranes,
- and salt to allow the DNA strands to clump together.
- Then add methylated spirits and wait for the DNA to appear!
Continue to find the ingredients and equipment you will need.
Extracted strands of DNA