STAR 6 is a Victorian Education Department initiative providing science enrichment learning experiences for Year 6 students through:
- subsidised travel costs to Scienceworks AND
- subsidised entry to the Melbourne Planetarium OR the Lightning Room at Scienceworks
for one visit on a school excursion per calendar year.
Travel subsidy for rural and regional schools
All rural and regional schools outside the metropolitan area will be reimbursed for 80% of the cost of transporting Year 6 students to and from Scienceworks for one school excursion per year. Travel claims are subject to terms and conditions.
Travel subsidy for metropolitan schools
All metropolitan schools will receive a $4 per student subsidy towards the cost of transport to and from Scienceworks for Year 6 students attending one Scienceworks excursion per year. Travel claims are subject to terms and conditions.
Planetarium or Lightning Room subsidy
All Year 6 students will receive a $2 discount to either one Planetarium show or one Lightning Room show per year as part of a school excursion. Information about the shows is available under Astronomy or Physics topics in our Education Programs.
Our booking officers can assist you to tailor an excursion program that will suit your curriculum needs and group size. Bookings for school groups can only be made by contacting the booking officer on (03) 9392 4819 between 8.30am and 4.30pm weekdays.
Terms and conditions
To access the reimbursements you must:
- book and attend an approved staff-led education program for Year 6 students at Scienceworks as part of your visit;
- Schools wishing to visit Scienceworks and claim STAR 6 travel and program support must book their program with Scienceworks within a specified period of time. Bookings for visits during Terms 1 and 2, 2015 MUST be made between 1 December 2014 and 31 March 2015. Semester 1 bookings made after this time will not be eligible for STAR 6 reimbursement.
- at time of booking, notify staff that you intend to make a STAR 6 claim, so that the STAR 6 Claim Forms can be sent to you;
- rural and regional schools who are claiming a travel reimbursement must submit two quotes for rural and regional travel subsidy at least 10 working days BEFORE their excursion;
- pay all excursion expenses before making a STAR 6 Claim;
- all claimants must complete the required paperwork and submit it to Scienceworks within 10 working days of the excursion. This includes a completed STAR 6 Claim Form and a School Tax Invoice for the amount being claimed.
Quotes and Star 6 Claim Forms must be received within the stipulated time frames to be eligible for reimbursement.
Late claims will not be processed.
What costs cannot be claimed?
- Travel costs for students in other year levels
- Costs associated with side trips and school camps
- Costs associated with any overnight accommodation
- Costs associated with the use of private vehicles or hire cars
- Driver accommodation
- Travel costs for a program that does not include a staff-led program
- Travel costs where the quotes, claim forms and tax invoices are not submitted in the required timeframe
- Any travel costs where the booking has not been made in the required timeframe.