SunshineHarvester WorksMuseum VictoriaMuseum Victoria
HomeIntroductionThemesMcKayMachinesFactorySunshineWorkersLandLegendWorldImage SearchArmchair TourLinksTerms of Use
Factory Picture
Sunshine
Aerial Views | Fire and Flood | McKay Legacies

 

Elevator cover of 1906 Sunshine stripper harvesterMcKay secured 400 acres of land at Braybrook Junction in 1904 with the aim of sub-dividing the land and encouraging his workers to settle locally. It was renamed Sunshine (after the trade name of the harvester) in 1907, in recognition of the contribution of the Harvester Works to the development of the locality.

Key infrastructure and services provided by McKay included electric lighting, parklands, recreation areas, public buildings, land for school and library, and housing for employees.

These were important seeds for industrial harmony and helped the company foster the concept of "the Sunshine family".

 

Home | Introduction | Themes | Image Search | Armchair Tour | Links
Terms of Use

 

Privacy   Rights   Disclaimer   Contact Us   E-News
© Museum Victoria Australia