SunshineMuseum Victoria
Armchair Tour

 

2  A Factory Within a Factory

The redbrick building before you was formerly the Bulk Store of the Sunshine Harvester Works. Built in 1924, this is the only part of the factory still standing. The Bulk Store housed many of the raw materials used in the factory.

Goods were delivered to the building by an internal railway line that ran alongside the site. Once the goods were off-loaded, a large gantry crane was used to move them into place, ready to be distributed to other factory departments. Tools, nuts and bolts, chains for machines and castings were all manufactured on-site by Sunshine factory workers.

On top of the Bulk Store, a dovecot housed the factory siren. Workers and locals used it to tell the time and organise their days. They became so used to the sound of the siren that when it was removed many people complained.

Plan of factory & Aerial drawing
Back Main Next

Map

 

Home | Introduction | Themes | Image Search | Armchair Tour
Terms of Use
Privacy   Rights   Disclaimer   Contact Us   E-News
© Museum Victoria Australia