Museum Victoria Website Privacy Statement
Throughout this Website Privacy Statement, reference to your 'personal information' means information which identifies you as an individual, or from which your identity can be reasonably ascertained. Your home address, home telephone number and e-mail address are examples of personal information.
Any changes to this Website Privacy Statement will be posted on Museum Victoria's website. We encourage you to review this Statement from time to time.
The following information pertains to your privacy and Museum Victoria's website.
1.1.1 Anonymous Access to this Website
You can access and browse our website without disclosing personal information. We will only collect personal information that you have chosen to provide.
1.1.2 Collection and Use of Personal Information
This site does not collect or use personal information except that which you choose to provide:
- on online forms through 'Contact Us', through 'E-news', to subscribe to our online newsletter using online subscription services to join programs such as MV Teachers or Making History
- in e-mail messages, to make a booking or an enquiry
- in comments
- when using online transaction services to purchase goods or services such as tickets, memberships, retail products or make donations.
We will only record your e-mail address and other contact details if you complete an online form or send us an e-mail message This information will only be used to respond to your enquiry, feedback, and will not be added to a mailing list unless specifically requested. We will not use your personal information for any other purpose. Museum Victoria does not sell, rent or lease its customer lists to third parties. On occasion, you may have the option to join a 3rd party mailing list from a Museum Victoria website. This will be clearly stated.
If you provide us with personal information about someone else, for example in an e-mail message or comment, or as a result of purchasing a gift membership, you must tell them about our website privacy statement and ensure that they do not object to their personal information being disclosed to us.
For online ticketing purposes, Museum Victoria collects and uses your personal information to operate its online ticketing system and deliver the services you have requested. For this purpose, Museum Victoria collects:
- Your name for validation purposes for ticket queries
- Your e-mail address in order to e-mail you your ticket, address any queries and potentially send you a pre-visit reminder email
- Your phone number for a back up contact
- Your post code and country details for understanding visitor demographics as part of the Museum visitor research program
- It is your choice to provide street address details. If you provide these they may be used as an additional contact and/or additional validation for any ticket queries
- If you select the 'receive news and updates from Museum Victoria' option you agree to receive regular e-mail updates from Museum Victoria.
- If, however, in an MV website you elect to receive information on future events directly from other parties, then we will provide those parties with your contact details to enable those parties to contact you.
For MV Shop purposes, Museum Victoria collects and uses your personal information to process and deliver your order and for recordkeeping, in case you wish to return or exchange an item at a later date, subject to MV Shop Terms and Conditions. For this purpose, Museum Victoria collects:
- Your name for delivery purposes
- Your e-mail address for order confirmation and shipment emailsYour phone number for a back up contact.
- Your billing and delivery addresses to complete and deliver the order
- MV Shop staff will pick and pack each order and utilise Australia Post for registered mail delivery.
- If you do not wish to place your order on the internet, please use the 'Contact us' link on the MV Shop page or the Museum Shop phone numbers for phone orders.
For Museum Members purposes, in order to process memberships online, Museum Victoria collects:
- Your name, date of birth and gender for validation purposes
- Your email address for correspondence
- Your contact address and phone number as a back up contact and for hard copy mail outs
- Your postcode and country details for understanding visitor demographics as part of the museum visitor research program
- If you do not wish to sign up for or renew your membership online, please use the 'how to renew or join' link to read about how to do so in person, by phone or mail.
For online donations, for administration, fundraising and recordkeeping, Museum Victoria collects:
- Your name to provide a tax deductible receipt
- Your email address to send your tax deductible receipt
- It is your choice to provide street address details. If you provide these they may be used as an additional contact and/or additional validation for any queries
Your credit card transactions are processed by Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCIDSS) compliant hosted services. For further information relating to PCIDSS please refer to: PCI Security Standards Organisation.
If you do not wish to receive updates and invitations from Museum Victoria you may select this option on the online form or via the 'unsubscribe' option on newsletter emails. You may also request not to receive further updates or invitations at any time.
We won't send you any e-mails unless you tell us you want them (either directly or as part of the condition of a subscription service, eg, MV Teachers).
We may not be able to provide the full range of services through the Museum Victoria website if we are not provided with the information outlined above.
Please contact Museum Victoria's Privacy Officer for further information:
GPO Box 666
Melbourne VIC 3001
or email email@example.com
We will only disclose your personal information in accordance with this privacy statement, or where we otherwise have your consent or if we are required to do so or are authorised by law.
1.1.4 Access and Correction
You may apply to Museum Victoria to access, correct or update your personal information. Please contact the Privacy Officer for further information:
GPO Box 666
Melbourne VIC 3001
email the Privacy Officer.
The Freedom of Information request process may be required, in order for Museum Victoria to recover the costs of servicing the enquiry. To find out more about this process please refer to Freedom of Information Online, Victoria.
1.1.5 Internet Security
There are risks associated with transmitting information over the internet. We use a number of mechanisms to protect the security and integrity of your personal information. Unfortunately, no data transmission over the internet can be guaranteed as completely secure. While we strive to protect such information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us, therefore you do so at your own risk.
If you are concerned about conveying sensitive information to Museum Victoria over the internet, you may prefer to contact us by mail or telephone.
1.1.6 Data Security
Once any personal information comes into our possession, we will take reasonable steps to protect that information from misuse and loss, and from unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. Museum Victoria provides secure information storage systems and procedures for the management of both physical and electronic information. Information will be disposed of in accordance with approved disposal schedules under the Public Records Act 1973.
1.1.7 Linking to other Websites
Museum Victoria websites may, from time to time, contain links to the websites of other organisations which may be of interest to you. Linked websites are responsible for their own privacy practices and you should check those websites for their respective privacy statements.
1.1.8 Web Measurement Service used by Museum Victoria
Cookies are small text files with a unique identifier that are transferred to your computer's hard drive through your web browser, which enables the recognition of your preferences and settings. The cookies collect information such as the number of visits, unique visits, documents viewed, browser type, how the site is navigated, the sections of the website visited and other website usage information. In using these cookies, none of your personal information is retrieved or recorded by Museum Victoria.
1.2.0 Clickstream Data
Museum Victoria's online ticketing contractor (OmniTicket Network) collects the following information in relation to your online ticket purchase via its website:
- session tracking,
- domain and host from which you access the Internet,
- IP address of the computer you are using,
- the browser software and operating system you are using,
- the date and time you access our site,
- and the Internet address which you linked directly to our site.
This information is used to ensure the site is useful and accessible to all users. Any information collected on the site is never disclosed to any third parties. No personal information is collected without your consent.
The MV Shop system also tracks the IP address of the computer used. This is done to assist with reducing internet fraud.
1.2.1 Online Surveys
Museum Victoria websites may also contain links to online surveys, to enable customers to provide feedback in order for Museum Victoria to improve its online services. The data collected is anonymous and will not be shared with any third party organisations.