Melt: Chocolate Festival
Past Event: 26 May 2013
Source: Museum Victoria
Chocolate was celebrated in all its diverse and delicious forms at this one-day festival in which Belgian, Mexican and Portuguese-speaking communities, amongst others, explored the role of chocolate in cuisine, culture and commerce.
Melt: Chocolate Festival 2013 (PDF, 251KB)
Watch this video with a transcript
The festival day included:
- An array of chocolate food and drinks such as Belgian waffles with chocolate sauce, Mexican champurrado (thick hot chocolate) and sweet bread, Brazilian brigadeiros (chocolate truffles) and savoury lunch options.
- Chocolate, sweets and products from vendors including Brasil Sweets, El Cielo, Van Nunen Chocolates, Monsieur Truffe, 2Pocket Fairtrade, Oxfam, Pana Chocolate and Sissy’s Gourmet Delights
- Belgian Chocolate & Beer tasting workshop
- Mexican Day of the Dead Chocolate Skull decorating workshops
- Brazilian Brigadeiro (chocolate truffle) making workshops
- Talks on the origins of cacao in ancient Mexico, history and development in Brazil, bean to bar processes, ethics and sustainability in local and global industries
- Info and displays from community organisations and international chocolate museums
- Dance and music performances as well as family craft activities